Thread: SMC - Qualification & Job?

Default SMC - Qualification & Job?

Hi All,

I was just wondering if there is a certain upper llimit for qualification for each skilled job? I have done my masters in engineering and have landed a job as a engineering technician (the job description states that the requirements as a Bachelors in Engineering). The area of work & study are skilled & in the same area and my employers are ready to state that my qualifications got me this job. I am just worried that they might say why do you need a masters degree for that particular job. Would this become an issue and do I have to explain to my CO anything?

I remember reading on a nz careers website that the requirements for a normal technician would be level 6 whereas I am level 9 though I am dealing with complex systems than a average technician would do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

SM7.10.5 Relevance of qualification(s) to employment

Qualifications are relevant to employment if:
    a.the major subject area of the principal applicant's recognised qualification is directly applicable to the employment; and/or
    b.an immigration officer is satisfied that the qualification was a key factor in the employer's decision to employ the principal applicant in that position.

No that wont create any issues. I did my post graduation(management) here in NZ and later applied for residency visa based on my post-grad qualification but I got residency visa because of my IT degree (Bachelors degree)) . My CO explained that my IT degree (overseas degree) matches my job description more closely than my post grad qualification. So as long as you can relate your job duties with your qualification, you should be sweet.

Best wishes