Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing a job in IT sector from outside NZ

Default Landing a job in IT sector from outside NZ

Hello,

Do anyone know the process of getting interview calls or getting a job in IT sector of NZ? I have been trying since last six months and applied to every available Project Manager positions in New Zealand. The only thing I get is a rejection. I am little frustrated as to NZ government which states that there is a high demand of IT professionals. I have applied and registered to most of the affiliated IT companies posted on their website but so far I have no luck. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,
    Ravi

+ 1 with Residence Visa

Much the best chance, unless you have an extremely sought after niche skill, is to make a recce trip to NZ, and make yourself visible in person.

Here's an old post that explains the background to the NZ employers' attitude on this. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952

I too tried out from NZ for IT jobs, and I don't think its easy to get a job. For now I have stopped applying for jobs, and will be flying to NZ by Jan month and will try from there.

I got 2 Skype interviews so far, but yes definitely the employer will give more priority to the person who is residing in NZ.

Same here! I have been applying for Project Manager jobs for several months from overseas without success. I have got only 1 Skype interview so far.

Thank you all for the responses. Based on the responses, I guess the next step is to stay in NZ for couple of months and apply from there. Does anyone have experience how much time it takes to get a job when we are in NZ? What is a right time of the year to visit NZ and look for a job?

Timing - it's very variable, depending so much on exactly what your skill set is, and happening to be in the right place at the right time. When to go - any time that is NOT December and January. NZers take their summer holidays over the Christmas and New Year break. In the run-up to Christmas, nobody much is keen to take on new staff, as they're busy winding things up to be able to leave everything finished before the holiday. Then things are mainly left with skeleton staffing from then till the school term starts at the beginning of February (so staff are taking it in turns for breaks with their families), and you won't have access to the decision-makers and the full team.

My friend also advised to come by Feb month, but anyway since NZ is a new place I am going 2 weeks earlier in Jan month to get use to it with the place/climate and need to open up the local accounts and things to start from the beginning.

All the best for all the job seekers.

Sorry to hear that.
    Could you please say, what was the exact job title / description which you applied for?

I think, it depends a lot on the type of job that you are applying for.
    In my opinion, it is easier to start from a junior level in a foreign country, rather than a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_J View Post
    I too tried out from NZ for IT jobs, and I don't think its easy to get a job. For now I have stopped applying for jobs, and will be flying to NZ by Jan month and will try from there.

I got 2 Skype interviews so far, but yes definitely the employer will give more priority to the person who is residing in NZ.

Are you a resident visa holder?
    If not, chances are not there at all ( unless exceptionally talented)

Quote Originally Posted by raviledwani View Post
    Hello,

Do anyone know the process of getting interview calls or getting a job in IT sector of NZ? I have been trying since last six months and applied to every available Project Manager positions in New Zealand. The only thing I get is a rejection. I am little frustrated as to NZ government which states that there is a high demand of IT professionals. I have applied and registered to most of the affiliated IT companies posted on their website but so far I have no luck. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,
    Ravi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast