Thread: Renting a house for 10 weeks in Masterton

Default Renting a house for 10 weeks in Masterton

Hi all!

My name is Lunar and I'm a student living in the Netherlands. In mid-february I'm going on an internship to New-Zealand. The location of my internship is located in Masterton and I'm having trouble finding a suitable house for me and my two classmates who come with me.

We would like a furnished 3-bedroom house with a bathroom and kitchen. Just something basic not too big or expensive. Someone who helps with the arrangement of our internship came up with a motel which costs 600 dollars per person a month. So for us three 1800 dollar a month for a motel where you have to share the kitchen, bathroom and sitting area with other people. We would like to have our own place instead of sharing with others.

We saw many houses for rent in the range of 200-350 dollars a week, but they are all unfurnished. I first want to know if it's possible to rent a furnished house/appartment for a maximum amount of 350 dollars a week in that area.

Or is an unfurnished house maybe a better solution? We are going to buy everything second hand if that's the case. I see a house for 240 dollars a week, but besides the letting fee and bond is there anything else you pay for? Like water, electricity, gas, wifi etc?

I'm very thankfull for any replies on my questions!

Kind regards,

Lunar

Don't know anything about the rental market in Masterton, but if you stay in a motel, you don't share your bathroom, kitchen and sitting area with other people. At least in the motels that I stayed in in Masterton (I have, honestly!). If you can't find a house that you could rent for 10 weeks, can you try to do a deal with a motel? If it's three of you staying for a while, then I'm sure they'd be happy to come to some agreement with you.

Are you maybe confusing a motel with a hostel? A motel normally has units with a bedroom for each guest or family, each with a sitting area, and bathroom, some with small kitchen facilities also.

Try looking here to see if you can find the particular motel your contact is suggesting. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=nz+motel+masterton

Thanks for the replies!

Oh that could be true though! He told us that the lounge, bathroom and kitchen were shared. So I thought we had to share it with other people. I guess he meant that we have to share it among us three.
    Thanks for telling me. This makes the motel a good alternative ! We are still going to try to find a house because that would be even more amazing! So I'm looking forward to answers on my other questions! Thanks in advance!
    The motel is called: Chanel Court Motel.

The guy who helps did already make some sort of an agreement. They are normally 30 dollars a night (210 dollars a week) and now 150 dollars a week per person.
    Last edited by Lunarvr; 24th October 2015 at 07:33 AM.

http://www.chanelcourtmotel.co.nz/ac...masterton.html Here are some pictures, and more details, of that motel.