Thread: Living in Christchurch

Default Living in Christchurch

Hello,

I have been happily living in Auckland for the last 5 years but lately I kind of got bored of it and it suddenly occurred to me how beautiful Christchurch was when I visited before the earthquake. Although I often hear people say the city is still in the process of recovery and the life there is hard, you know it's been 4 years now it cannot be that bad, right?
    I know I should just fly there and see the city myself but it would be nice to hear honest opinions from the people who actually live there today.
    If there's anyone living in Christchurch in this forum, would you mind sharing briefly how you like living there? Would you rather be else where if you could or are you happy in Christchurch?

I don't live in Christchurch but holidayed there in January, and yes it is still in the stages of recovery.

I am happy in Christchurch, but it does depend what you are looking for. It has cinemas, theatre and rugby stadium, mountain biking tracks, surfing and nearby ski fields. The malls' retail experience is similar to pre earthquake. However, it is a city in recovery..there are roadworks, traffic jams empty lots, graffiti as well as construction and rebuild. I have lived here throughout, in the East, so it doesn't affect me too much...but I know of people even from west Christchurch who remain shocked at some of the areas. I would say life was hard, but we are slowly starting to come out of it.

Hey I have been living in Christchurch from last three years and absolutely in love with this city.
    Life is easy and good.
    I did fly to Auckland few months ago liked it for a weekend holiday. Went to waihiki island was beautiful too.
    But I would prefer Christchurch rather than Auckland for living .

Thank you Fern49 Mamee Jazz77
    I appreciate your comments!
    If I live in Chch I think it will be in the east then. I think sometime I will fly over and see if I wanna spend some time there.
    Again thank you for your opinions!

East has the most quake damage, but also has the sea!