Thread: NZQA for non-principle applicant for english language requirement

Cool NZQA for non-principle applicant for english language requirement

Dear all,

I am confused with the English language requirement for the non-principal applicant.

My wife is included as the non-principal applicant for the EOI and the English language minimum requirements that she meets as of now are:

1) completion of all primary education and at least 3 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 5 or years 9 to 11) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    2) completion of at least 5 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    3) completion of a course of at least 3 years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction;

The most suitable one is the "#3 completion of a course of at least 3 years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction". However, the issue is that her tertiary qualification is not NZQA assessed, neither her university is in the NZQA exempt universities (she has a Bachelor of Technology (4 yrs) degree from a University in India). My question is whether she is required to get her educational qualification assessed by NZQA in order to prove the English language requirement based on #3. I am thinking of including a letter from the university stating that the language of instruction was English. Please note we are not claiming any points based on her qualifications, and we have 190 points for the EOI solely based on my qualification and job offer.

Please advice us. Thank you so much for your valuable time and help.
    Last edited by sham88; 1st November 2015 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sham88 View Post
    Dear all,

I am confused with the English language requirement for the non-principal applicant.

My wife is included as the non-principal applicant for the EOI and the English language minimum requirements that she meets as of now are:

1) completion of all primary education and at least 3 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 5 or years 9 to 11) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    2) completion of at least 5 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    3) completion of a course of at least 3 years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction;

The most suitable one is the "#3 completion of a course of at least 3 years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction". However, the issue is that her tertiary qualification is not NZQA assessed, neither her university is in the NZQA exempt universities (she has a Bachelor of Technology (4 yrs) degree from a University in India). My question is whether she is required to get her educational qualification assessed by NZQA in order to prove the English language requirement based on #3. I am thinking of including a letter from the university stating that the language of instruction was English. Please note we are not claiming any points based on her qualifications, and we have 190 points for the EOI solely based on my qualification and job offer.

Please advice us. Thank you so much for your valuable time and help.
    1. If you are claiming bonus points for non-principal applicant, than same language requirements applies to no-principal applicant. Letter from University would be fine, however Case officer may insist for IELTS.

2. Yes in order to claim bonus points, you would need FULL assessment (IQA) by NZAQ.

3. As there are max 20 points one can claim for partner, if you already have 190, if you minus 20, still you would have 170 . If i were you , i wouldn't bother about non- principal applicant and submit my application without Non-Principal bonus points, because still you have points more than 40.

I hope this helps you

Sorry i forgot to reply

"My question is whether she is required to get her educational qualification assessed by NZQA in order to prove the English language requirement based on #3"
    One of the main reason for NZQA assessment is to check the qualification equivalent to NZ qualification framework. It's not carried out to prove English requirements, English language requirement is a pre-requisite/mandatory requirement and have NO points thus can be proved by IELTS/Letter from university showing that the qualifications were held in English, lastly IQA(NZQA) is required for ALL degrees which are NOT on exempt university list.

I hope this helps

I agree with the previous poster - she doesn't need to get IQA done on her degree to prove English ability. She would need to get a letter to say that she (name, date of birth) attended during this date and that date, and successfully followed (whatever) course leading to (whatever) qualification, which was conducted entirely in English.