Thread: Do you know any dog-friendly walking trails in the North Island?

Default Do you know any dog-friendly walking trails in the North Island?

Hey y'all, we're doing a camping trip to the Coromandel/Waikato/Bay of Plenty this Dec and will be taking the Labrador along. We'll be doing trails, beaches and general R&R.

I know Karangahape Gorge trail allows leashed dog. Does anyone know anywhere else please?

- 30mins to 4 hour trails
    - Leashed or unleashed is ok
    - Allowed at all hours
    - Coromandel, Waikato or Bay of Plenty areas but any other areas also welcomed.

ETA - Have tried googling but seems hard to find this info, in case you're trying to lmgtfy
    Last edited by breeze; 2nd November 2015 at 09:58 AM.

I'm researching dog issues as well. The advice I seem to find (via dog a dog forum that spans Oz/NZ) is that most of NZ permits dogs on leash and beaches, etc. often have off leash areas. You will hit dog restrictions in areas where the kiwi (bird) is present and in danger.

You might find this forum post helpful
    http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/26...1#entry6751287

if this link, go to dolforums.com.au and search the general forum for New Zealand.

What about contacting the DEpartment of Conservation, they would know of areas that allow dogs on trails? I think generally there are not a lot of those around...

Hi breeze. I did some research and found this helpful guide which covers the areas you've mentioned, as well as controlled dog access and areas of conservation.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...i-take-my-dog/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this, BradYoung04.

We did Karangahake last December and my Labrador had a lot of fun, especially when he could get into the river and have his mandatory dip. There was also a long tunnel with chilly air inside. I don't know whether the air got into his tummy or what, but he had a diarrhoea half way in. (He didn't eat anything unusual that day or day before.) Good thing there was running streams at the sides of the tunnel and we had his cup to wash it away. I wonder if this happen to any other dogs!

We have found some very good dog parks in Auckland. E.g., Botanic garden dog exercise area at Everglades Road, Mt Mangere, Macleans Park, the beaches, etc.