Thread: Working Holiday Visa - What can be shipped over?

Default Working Holiday Visa - What can be shipped over?

My wife and I moved over four and half years ago and left our two sons in the mid 20s with their possessions, childhood stuff and furniture for their flat. We have just applied for citizenship.

One of my son’s is coming over on a 12month working holiday visa ...and if he likes NZ will seek to extend and maybe try and stay if he can get work and settle.

We are delighted and have agreed to pay to ship over all his stuff from his flat (rather than put it in storage for 12-24months) .....but will he have to pay customs???

I rang Customs here in NZ and after hanging on for ages they guy was unfortunately pretty unhelpful and kept referring to my 30 yr old son as a student and suggested he’ll have to pay 15% on everything.

Any advice help much appreciated as always

MBK

I'm afraid he isn't going to be eligible for any of the concessions relating to his property, except those available to any tourist, if he ships it at the beginning of his stay in NZ. If you look at the links here http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx, you'll see that exemption from duty is only available to those with Residence.

There is a Personal Goods concession for items of total value up to NZ$700. There is also the Wearing apparel and personal effects concession, which can cover quite a lot of value, as long as the items travel WITH him (so it might be an idea to explore the possibilities offered by excess baggage).

Thanks JandM for the comprehensive and prompt reply as ever -
    much appreciated
    MBK