Thread: Partnership work visa (Gay couple)

Red face Partnership work visa (Gay couple)

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner are a gay couple, she is a NZ's permanent resident and I planned to lodge a partnership work visa again soon. (First time being declined)

So we started our long-distance relationship since 2012 until March this year I came NZ and planned to settle down here. I've stayed with her family since March till August 2015 and moved out from her house, the reason being that her parents disapproved our relationship after they found out and I felt threaten to continue staying in her house. In other words, I couldn't get a statement from her father (the landlord) saying that I did stayed together with her, because he disapprove our relationship, the evidences that I was able to provide was some weekly rental transactions, limited photos taken in her house (we don't have a habit of taking photos), AT transport bus card transactions, my work place near her house, some letters to me from bank (but the officer said those letters were not convincing as the address can be changed) and some spending at the groceries near her house. Therefore I'm hoping to retrieve that 6 months I stayed with her so that I could apply for permanent residency sooner. Anymore suggestion for the evidence to provide for this 6 months for the next time I apply for partnership based Permanent resident?

Then, from Sept- Nov we lived separately but we still stayed in Auckland region. I moved out alone because we were facing financial constraint, and we planned to move out together as soon as she got a job (she's a recent graduate). And now she had get a job confirmation and we just started living together 2 days ago. I planned to lodge a second partnership work visa supported by her on December. The working visa that I'm holding is soon to expire in December, sadly I get dismissed from my job last month, therefore I only have one month left to apply.

The evidences that I planned to provide are:
    - photos of us living together in the same room, cooking together, etc.
    - joint account statement
    - current tenancy agreement that has both our names on it
    - letters from friends, head of tenancy, flatmates to prove our relationship
    - our conversations in apps, SMS, calls

I hope that anyone can suggest me regarding more evidences that I can provide to INZ.

Thank you very much!

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't look as if you are in a good position to apply for any partner-sponsored visa at the moment. INZ require very solid evidence of cohabitation to grant any partner-sponsored visa, and they look particularly at the time immediately before the application. And you have just said you have been living together recently for two days, whereas they take seriously applications where people have been together for around three months. Here are old threads about evidence of partnership, which will give you an idea of the kind of things that work, and the sheer volume of material that people have provided. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof The time when you were both living in Auckland, but separately, cannot count. And in the absence of any evidence from your partner's father (which, given his views, he is not likely to provide), it's very doubtful that you could change INZ's mind about allowing the time you spent living there. I know this isn't what you want to hear.

A more serious problem than all of that is your own visa situation. You say you have been on a work visa, but you have lost your job. If that was a normal temporary work visa (not WHV), with the name of the employer written on it, then that visa stopped when your employment ended. You don't have the right to stay on without a visa. INZ are normally fairly kind, in that they allow a person some time to try to sort out their situation by getting another job, before they demand that they leave the country, but in fact, it is not legal to be in the country when not covered by any visa. And it's not legal to apply for a visa when illegally in NZ.

So 1) you need to go and talk frankly to INZ about having lost your job, and what you need to do about your visa situation. 2) Have you got any job prospects in view? If not, I hope you are looking.

I'm glad to hear from you, JandM,

Yes I understand your point there, it is alright I'll just leave that 6 months alone.

I'm on a Silver Fern Job Search Visa, therefore I can still stay even I've lost my job. It is going to expire on 8th December, so you can see my condition is kind of desperate now, I don't have enough time to stay for 3 months with her, unless I stay with her for one month from now, then I leave NZ when my Silver fern expire on Dec, and come back again with a visitor visa (which could last for 3 months for a Malaysian). I could re-apply for a partnership work visa during my stay as a visitor. Here comes the problem, it is not likely for INZ to grand me a work visa by this option, due to the reason that I've got my partnership visa declined once, and if I leave NZ, INZ will again thinks that me and my partner are not in a stable relationship.

So I guess the only option left is to apply for a partnership visa again on December.

Its pretty much certain if you reapply again in December for the Partnership visa without having that 3 months of living together evidence its going to be declined. The last thing you want is to get your second declined partnership work visa... I think the best you can hope for is a visitor visa to get living together for longer