Thread: Special direction - How to

Default Special direction - How to

So I'm 18 and want to go on holiday to NZ next year, however over summer I was denied entry to the USA as I was ineligible to enter under the visa waiver program. I'm not eligible to enter NZ under s15 of the immigration act 2009: No visa or entry permission may be granted, and no visa waiver may apply, to any person who has, at any time, been removed, excluded, or deported from another country.

I'm pretty sure this means I need a special direction, although I'm not sure. I'm not excluded from the USA, I just need a visa to go there. I wasn't deported or removed, as I was at a land border, so I just drove back into Canada.

I really want to talk to somebody about it, and get a recommendation on what I should do.

Every page I can find online simple tells me to contact NZ immigration, and links to immigration.gov.nz, or tells me to apply online for a special direction and links there. For some reason, the link won't work and I can't access the website. Does anybody have any email addresses or numbers of who I should contact about this? And as the NZ immigration website doesn't work, how would I apply for a special direction if I do need one?

Thanks

Also, I'm only 18 and plan to travel lots throughout my lifetime. Will I need to apply for a new special direction every time I enter NZ, or just the once? Thanks!

I am not a lawyer or an immigration advisor, but at first glance I'm not sure you're in as much trouble as you fear. Ineligibility to enter under a visa waiver provision is not the same as being excluded -- you didn't apply for a US visa, so, as I see it, you simply changed your travel plans once you realised (or were advised) that you were ineligible to enter without one.

What was the reason for your ineligibility? If it was for character issues (prior offending), those same issues will likely arise for NZ as well.

I know you're only 18, but if you can afford all of the travel you seem to be planning, a bit of money to a lawyer would be a well-advised expense.

sks is quite right. You weren't removed, excluded, or deported from the US - you were just told you didn't have the right visa, and took yourself away.