Thread: OLD Kiwi maybe returning home, after 40 years.

Default OLD Kiwi maybe returning home, after 40 years.

I am a Kiwi, that has been away 40 years, apart from visits. Due to unforeseen circumstances I maybe returning to NZ for the last time. I have a Kiwi passport but have not paid NZ tax etc., in those years.

Am I entitled to any benefits or state assistance etc., until I am established in NZ?

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

JI

Hope this helps.

Eligibility for Social Security

However, social security benefits are not only distributed according to eligibility criteria and means testing. Instead, they also have strict residential requirements. Superannuation, New Zealand’s state pension, is paid to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents aged 65 and over, who have lived in the country for a minimum of ten years (five of which have to be spent in New Zealand after the age of 50).

Eligibility for unemployment benefits — which has been renamed to Jobseeker Support in New Zealand — is limited to citizens and permanent residents who have been residing in New Zealand for at least two years.

However, there are some reciprocal agreements with countries such as Canada, Denmark, and the UK. They allow nationals from these countries to apply for social security benefits as soon as they arrive to take up permanent residence. If you want to find out more about the social security agreements New Zealand has with your home country, check New Zealand’s Work and Income site.

Many thanks. Much appreciated!