Thread: Living near Albany

Default Living near Albany

Hi all, we are a UK family (one 3yr old) and we will be moving to NZ in early 2015. My husbands work will be in Albany and I'm trying to get an idea of good places to live. I have a few friends in NZ and they recumbent Browns bay and Torbay. We can afford to pay around 800 a week at the top on of our bracket - but obviously if something cheaper and good/safe then thats better.

Any first hand experience on areas around Albany (or Albany itself). Ideally we'd like to be near the beach and commute under 30min to work, also will need to sign daughter up for nursery/school.
    Also what are the bus routes like? If we got 1 car would that work or would we need 2 in an ideal world.

Thanks

Here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=nz+auckland+bus+routes are links to sites with information about bus routes in and around Auckland.

If you like to live on the coast of the North Shore, then I would recommend Browns Bay or Torbay. Your commute to Albany would be around 10 mins. The eastern side of North Shore all have good swimming beaches but commuting times vary since most roads on the Shore are single-lane and traffic builds up quite early. Browns Bay has a lot of amenities including a boardwalk and shopping to meet your daily needs. Torbay is a bit quieter. The furthermost south - Devonport is popular with UK residents but it would take you a bit longer than 30 mins.

Albany is a newish housing suburb so you tend to find modern, big houses for rental while along the coast, most houses tend to be weatherboard, a lot older often with big yards.

We used to live in Oteha (former part of Albany, until they split the suburb into 2 back in 2009). It is 5 mins drive to Browns Bay and the beach, or less than 10 mins to Takapuna, Long Bay etc. Rent is rising in the area as it is very handy for walking to the Park & Ride, which is only 25mins max on bus into CBD and also walkable to Albany Westfield and the Mega Centre. We used to pay $550pw but I think for a half-decent house you'd be looking closer to $700pw now. There are circular buses very regularly around the area. When you say work in Albany, are you talking about th main shopping area or one of the surrounding business parks e.g. Apollo? That is about a 5-10 minute drive from Oteha or 10-15 minutes from the East side of Albany (noisier as student area) but there are fewer buses. All of the East Coast Bays suburbs are lovely, but be careful with the older properties as they can be cold and damp, with mould problems in winter. There are regular buses that connect to the Park & Ride and main shopping areas, but it is too far to walk.

Buses depend on where you're going and at what time. Until about 9am there are express buses that go along the main roads and then onto the busway which is super convenient and handy. After that you're limited to the ones that dawdle around the Bays and/or Forrest Hill, stopping at Smales Farm and/or the hospital, then Takapuna, and finally to the city (if it's the city you're going to). If you're going to say Albany from Browns Bay, the bus is slow and painful. If you want to go to Glenfield from Browns Bay, you'd need to catch 2 slow buses... Probably not ideal with children but I guess the whole 1 vs 2 cars would depend on your lifestyle. You'd definitely need at least one in Auckland!

Thank you fury147 - we will def be getting 1 car. just trying to minimise the need for a 2nd. my husband will be working in Albany so i guess it would be rush hour busses.