Thread: Moving household goods aftr one year

Default Moving household goods aftr one year

Hi all

We are planning our first entry in feb 2016 and my husband will move permanently in July 2016 and will settle the things and I will move with my baby by end of 2016, I was wandering if we will be able to get the customs exemption for bringing our household items eg furniture , linens, electrical equipments and other household items which we are using now when I move there.

I read customs website and found that we will be able to bring such items only when we are moving permanently but in our case my husband would have moved months back, will it affect the exemptions which are allowed to the new residents in New Zealand.

Thanks in advance

It says on the customs website, "your household or other related effects will be admitted free of Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST) for a reasonable time after you arrive." http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx If people can make a reasonable case for when their property is imported - and in your case, it's perfectly reasonable, I should think, that your household effects stay with YOU in your old home till your husband has sussed out where you are going to be settling in NZ - the customs are pretty flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by ramandeep18 View Post
    I read customs website and found that we will be able to bring such items only when we are moving permanently but in our case my husband would have moved months back, will it affect the exemptions which are allowed to the new residents in New Zealand.
    The important point in your case is...
    You have arrived in New Zealand and, on the date the effects are imported, hold a document authorising residence in New Zealand
    As you will be permanent residents prior to the date your household goods are imported, you will be fine.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    The important point in your case is...

As you will be permanent residents prior to the date your household goods are imported, you will be fine.

Ian
    Thanks Ian