Thread: (Temporary) Residency - What is life like without it? Only immediately through SMC?

Default (Temporary) Residency - What is life like without it? Only immediately through SMC?

I am weighing up my visa options and it appears that immediate (temporary) residency is only available through the skilled migrant category. Is this correct? It appears that if I take out a entrepreneur or other visa my family and I won't get that?

Perhaps I have misunderstood and residency is something you can only get permanently, after a period of time or a well paid SMC job?

I'm worried that without temporary residency we will have little support when we arrive, e.g. health, education, less rights, etc. What is life like without this 'temporary' residency?

Hi there,

There is nothing as such Temporary Residency. Residency is permanent with travel conditions and Permanent Residency, which is available only after 2 years with PR conditions being met, this does not have any travel conditions.

If your skills are required by New Zealand for which you posses relevant qualifications and work experience, you can make an application for residency through your nearest INZ office.

Also have a look at temporary visas on INZ website which may suit your current situation.

Please contact a Licensed Immigration Advisor for professional help

**** This is information only and not immigration advice****

Yes, I agree.

The children of anyone with a work visa are entitled to have student visas matching the parent's for length of time, so they can go to school on the same terms as NZ nationals and residents. The spouse can have a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, likewise for the same length of time. (That is an open work visa allowing him/her to work at anything, or nothing, or start a business.) With a work visa of 24 months or more, or as soon as a second work visa gives permission to stay 24 months at least, a person is entitled to use the NZ health service on the same terms as NZ citizens or residents. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more