Thread: Offered permanent job - currently on WHV

Default Offered permanent job - currently on WHV

Hi all. I started working for an employer under the understanding I'm allowed to work for maximum of 3 months in line with my WHV condition.
    Since working for said employer I've been offered a permanent role and to apply for an essential skills visa. I understand if a job is offered I have to wait for my new visa? Can someone shed some light whether I have to stop working and start again as soon as visa is approved? Thanks

Its rare to see a WHV "not more than 3 months with any one employer" enforced. If its skilled employment that could also lead to a SMC EOI? With an EOI slected you can then get a work visa without a labour market test. Answering your question though,.....if you had comne to the end of your 3 months, and didn't yet have your essential skills visa, you may have to stop work until you did.

Yes it's a skilled job so I'm eligible to apply for a work visa. I'm incorrect regarding the 3 month of employment. I'm allowed any employment as long as it's not permanent. Just want to know if it'll stand that it was at first a temporary position, but my employer wishes to keep me permanently. I've read on the immigration website I have to wait for the visa to be employed? Maybe a bit of a grey area. Certainly don't want to be breaking any rules however.

If you're still on the temporary job, you're clear to continue working on your WHV, while you submit the permanent contract that you've been offered to INZ in support of your application for the Essential Skills visa. It's all about what you and the employer call what you're doing now - as long as it's still 'temporary' till you get your Essential Skills visa, and your WHV covers your temporary working, you're fine.