Thread: Leaving the skilled job after getting residence under SMC

Default Leaving the skilled job after getting residence under SMC

Hi there. I've been in a skilled employment for 5 months now but been in NZ for 8 years doing the same job as skilled. Let's say I will be given residency next month and decide to leave my skilled employment by which I was assessed against under SMC and was approved. What are the consequences I will be facing? Any thing like deportation or sanctions INZ will impose against me? Or will I be able to leave and take up other position that matches my skilled employment by which I was given residency?

Thank you. Would love to hear from you soon.

Once you have Residence - you have actually got that visa in your passport - and you have met any conditions on it (which aren't likely in you case, but COULD include working in that same job for three months) and shown INZ that you have done so, so the conditions are removed....

...then you are a free agent. You can do just as you like, within the law.

If you want at that stage to leave your present employment, all you have to do is give notice within the terms of your contract. There will be no INZ restrictions on you, only ordinary contractual ones. And bear in mind that NZ is a small population, so there is usually someone who knows someone who knows about you, specially within the same industry, so it is just as well to leave any job WITHOUT bad blood with the employer, so it doesn't sour your future prospects.

Thanks for your response JandM. What about the new policy of INZ about the employment "Outside Auckland" which entitled me additional 20 points from the 10 points I claimed? It says I must take up that work for 12 months.

Thanks JandM.

Hi there, I am in similar situation where I work as a head chef outside of Auckland for more than 18 months , lets just say if my residence will be approved , will I have to stay to work for same employer? as CO asked my employer to show financal result of past 12 months to see if they be able to mantain my future employment, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gcapd View Post
    Thanks for your response JandM. What about the new policy of INZ about the employment "Outside Auckland" which entitled me additional 20 points from the 10 points I claimed? It says I must take up that work for 12 months.

Thanks JandM.
    If that is written as a condition on your visa when you get it, then you will have to fulfil the condition before INZ will remove it. But as I said before, once the condition is off, you become free to move jobs, or not, as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Radgo23 View Post
    Hi there, I am in similar situation where I work as a head chef outside of Auckland for more than 18 months , lets just say if my residence will be approved , will I have to stay to work for same employer? as CO asked my employer to show financal result of past 12 months to see if they be able to mantain my future employment, thank you
    If you find you have a condition on your visa of staying there for a certain length of time, then that is what you will have to do. (The new points for being outside Auckland are just that - new! So you are among the first people to find out, and tell us, please, what happens when you get your visa. There hasn't been anybody before you who has got some of their points for being outside Auckland.)

But I don't think there can be a condition on your visa for longer than 12 months, at the outside.