Thread: Essential Skills Visa and a partner

Default Essential Skills Visa and a partner

Hi!
    I've been offered a job in NZ, with a suggested route of applying for ESV, based on lack of on-site workers.

So my question is a rather general one of what could be the best approach here, considering that I'd love to go there with my partner - should we apply both at once, or it doesn't matter if her application is submitted later, while mine might be already being processed?

Is it even possible to apply for partner visa when I'm not holding mine, and it's not certain for how long it'll be granted? (from what I've seen, I might be eligible for up to 5 years long ESV) That's not entirely clear for me, as well as the fact that on one hand I'm enabled to use online application, but it could change if we submit the applications together.

Or maybe the better way of doing this would be to apply for non-tourist partner visa while already in NZ?

I'll appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
    Oskar

You can apply for your visa, and your partner can apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, at the same time, linking the two with a covering letter, then the CO will work the applications as one case, supplying things you don't know up front, such as your visa number, as they become available. Then your partner will get an open work visa (meaning she will be entitled to work at any job at all (doesn't have to be skilled), or run a business) matching yours for length of time.

Thanks for the answer!

So in case we don't apply together we'll have to wait until my visa is issued to be able to properly fill out the other form, is that right?

Is there any clear advantage in applying together, or that shouldn't have any impact on the outcome? I'm asking this specifically because I'm quite sure I could be applying be myself a few days faster, and that might be important for my employer.

And just one more question: can partner visa be issued for shorter time than the visa it's backed with? I'm asking this, because 12-month partner visa could save some time for doing general medicals and leave with just x-ray examination (please don't ask why those are conducted in two separate places in Poland and one is getting closed for a week...).

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by oskarszulc View Post
    So in case we don't apply together we'll have to wait until my visa is issued to be able to properly fill out the other form, is that right?
    No - your partner COULD apply later, but before your visa comes through, but would have to supply a letter explaining that this application depended on yours (giving all your details and when that one went in). It's possible, but a bit more complicated.

Is there any clear advantage in applying together, or that shouldn't have any impact on the outcome? I'm asking this specifically because I'm quite sure I could be applying be myself a few days faster, and that might be important for my employer.
    Normally, it wouldn't be any advantage or any disadvantage, as regards officialdom. It IS an advantage, though, in proving your partnership. INZ require evidence of a live-in relationship (around three months at the least), preferably right up to the time of the application, and if anyone has left their partner and moved to NZ, it can sometimes be hard to convince the authorities that the relationship didn't break up.

And just one more question: can partner visa be issued for shorter time than the visa it's backed with? I'm asking this, because 12-month partner visa could save some time for doing general medicals and leave with just x-ray examination (please don't ask why those are conducted in two separate places in Poland and one is getting closed for a week...).
    No, this one won't work. People often try to dodge having to pay for two medicals in a short space of time (because of the cost) by applying for the shorter visa, but the official line on this is to say, 'You're X's partner, and X is applying for a 3-year visa (or whatever), so you're obviously intending to stay longer than a year, so get a full medical.'