Thread: ...swap UK for NZ driving licences ?

Question ...swap UK for NZ driving licences ?

Hi all,

What exactly is the procedure for transferring from a UK full driving licence (manual) to a NZ full driving licence ?

Regards,

Doz

Hi Doz

All you have to do is go into a local VTNZ station (make sure they do driving licences because not all do) or AA (I think) within a year of being in NZ and you do a scratch card test. Very easy, all multiple choice questions.

Make sure you do it though within that year or you have to take a full test!!!

Hope this helps.

Jules

You will need to look at the Road code, there are a limited number of questions, and they are all in the book, just learn the answers, and you are ready for your scratch test!

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/

You also need to be prepared for an eye test.

Default Nz V Uk Test

On a similar thread, my wife is currently having driving lessons and hoping to pass her test whilst in the UK. does anyone have experience of the NZ test or any ideas as to weather it is easier to pass than a uK test, or should she carry on for a UK licence?

Personally I'd take the UK one, then it's just a matter of a new theory test once you are here. NZ driving isn't difficult (though has it's eccentricities!) but probably better to take a test on more familiar ground I'd say

Good Luck Mrs CS

You don't have to take the full test if you have been here for over a year and not taken the NZ test, just that its illegal to drive.

Default More info needed

Intereting to read about the driving licences...just another one of the hundreds of things we are learning from this site.

Can anyone tell me what happens with people like my OH who have class 1 HGV licence is it the same or are there different questions?

can't answer the HGV specific bit but would assume that it wouldn't be too different, but would like to say that most of the people coming from England on a normal licence would be eligible to take the class 2 test too if they so desire. this enables them to drive the smaller trucks and requires a further bit of swotting on the road rules but from a HGV version of the 'highway code'.

the NZ car licence doesn't seem to take up to the same weight lorries that the UK one does. Don't know the weights involved but someone out there is sure to know. Also the people at the testing centres aren't fully aware about it so its worth talking to them before you go for the test. you may have to convince them.