Thread: How will having UTI affect my medical assessment?

Default How will having UTI affect my medical assessment?

I apologize if this has already been posted earlier, but search results turned up empty so here goes.

My partner and I are currently applying for a visa under the Skilled Migrant category. (He is the main applicant and I am the partner.) Our medical assessor contacted us yesterday and gave me one week to undergo and submit the results of a re-urinalysis because of abnormal findings (traces of blood, probably caused by UTI, or my incoming period) in the initial one we submitted a few months ago. However, my period is again due in around three days, and, as luck would have it, I am currently taking antibiotics for a current bout with UTI. Would it be possible to request for an extension to the deadline, given that due to the possibility of blood tainting the results, it is not advisable to get a urinalysis a few days before, during, and after menstruation? (Aside of course from the fact that if I take a urinalysis now, it will show abnormal results again due to UTI.)

My plan is to request for an extension to the deadline (I will get a urinalysis one week after my period ends), and explain that it is:
    (a) because I have a period coming up and I don't want menstrual blood screwing up the results; AND
    (b) because I am currently being treated for UTI.

What do you think? I assume UTI is a fairly common infection and easily treatable so it shouldn't be a big issue, but I'd still like to know how this can affect my medical assessment and more importantly, our application. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I think it is reasonable to tell them that you are very willing to take the repeat test, but explain why you want to delay it. If they insist, you will of course take it straight away, but it's likely to be a waste of time. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I think it is reasonable to tell them that you are very willing to take the repeat test, but explain why you want to delay it. If they insist, you will of course take it straight away, but it's likely to be a waste of time. Good luck!
    Thank you for the quick response! Sounds very reasonable, I'll make sure to add what you said to my e-mail. But do you think they will take it against me that I have UTI/am prone to UTI? (I'm kinda nervous that they'll consider it as an expensive disease and reject our application because of it )

No, it's not an expensive disease. See here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46506.htm the illnesses that are a 'no'. Ordinary short-term infections, or established repetitive or chronic illnesses, that are understood and treated by well-known drugs, are acceptable.

Besides, having UTI twice can't be said to be being prone to it.

I feel so much better now! (Minus the "having UTI right now" part ) Thank you so much for the advice, JandM! Thousands have already said this before me I'm sure, but you truly are a lifesaver Thanks for saving me from worrying too much! Crossing our fingers for a successful application

Hi all, my husband is currently working in New Zealand and I am in the process of applying for a partner based work visa, I went for my medicals and my test came back with my bloodcount being abnormal, I have to redo the full blood count test again on Monday and I am very worried that this will affect my visa application.

Try not to get in a state about it, and eat and drink very normally in the run-up to the retest - not to do so can affect the results.

What happens if the new count also shows abnormalities will depend on what these may be due to. When you get your results, you need to talk to your own doctor about what has happened, and what s/he thinks ought to be done about it. If your medical is referred to the MAs, they are going to want to get a doctor's opinion, so you can cut things a bit shorter, usually, by already having a diagnosis, and treatment started, if necessary.