Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a job after lodging SMC

Default Getting a job after lodging SMC

I would like to know about the state of SMC after getting a job offer. I was contacted by a job consulted a month ago about a position in a company based in Wellington. I have attended a few rounds of interview with the company and looks like there is a decent probability of getting an offer. The consultant and the company are aware of my lodgement and the status.

My questions are
    1. if I get a job offer in that company will I be able show this to my CO?
    2. I have Searched the company name in accredited company list and can't find it. I don't know if they can sponsor a visa. But, will an offer from that company help me move my application faster?

The fact of a having a skilled job offer from ANY company will get your case for Residence under SMC prioritized. You need to show the offer letter and contract, including all the small print, to INZ, for this to happen.

Not all companies that are accredited allow their name to appear on the list on the INZ website, because it means they get applications from foreign workers even when they're not advertising at the moment. You would need to ask the company if they're accredited.

In any case, their being accredited makes no difference to your position for the SMC application. What an accredited employer can do is sponsor a worker for a WTR visa, because they already have been investigated by INZ and their need to appoint skilled foreign workers agreed in advance. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../caniworkinnz/ (An accredited employer is not somehow better than any other - they've just already put in for this clearance.) If your offer is from a non-accredited employer, they can still probably sponsor you for a temporary work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/

Either WTR or a temporary work visa are only necessary if the employer would like to have you start work sooner than it is likely your Residence visa could come through. The CO will be able to tell you ROUGHLY how soon you might get Residence. If it would be within two or three months, that might be all right with the employer, but if it wouldn't, then you would probably be advised to apply for whichever of the other visas the employer could sponsor you for, because they can be processed quickly, and you could be in NZ already working while the SMC application was being processed in the background, taking the time it takes. (Notice, the employer can't say, 'You MUST start work by X date,' because you can't legally begin, and he can't legally employ you, until you have a visa, and that entirely depends on INZ.)

Thank you. It is really a great explanation.

I got a job offer a couple of months after my SMC was lodged, and once I had the contract in hand, sent it to the IO. My case was prioritized and it was really quite quick after that. The accredited employer thing should not matter, but make sure your contract lists all of the details INZ requires (descripition, hours, length of appointment etc).

congrats and good luck!

Hi ,

I am very glad to inform that I got a job offer at Wellington, New Zealand. The position is permanent. Now, my concern is about processing time. I have sent an email about the offer to my CO and no reply yet. The company which offered me job is expecting me sometime mid of January. It's almost close to 5 months after lodgement. I am bit worried about it.

@kdok - Thanks.

Have you tried contacting your CO by phone?

I got a reply from CO that they are not sure about whether the job is Skilled Employment. So my CO, scheduled an SMC interview with me on Dec 8th. I replied back saying that I will send her the offer letter from the company which is a skilled employment. Waiting for the reply. In the mean time, I have to prepare for the SMC interview.

This is the email I got from my CO

Your application now reaches the second tier assessment, which is the interview process. Therefore, we will not request you to submit your job offer evidence. But please provide information via email about your job title and employer’s name of this job offer you recently received.
    I don't know what second tier assessment is. Is this the second person check? I am scared of the processing times too. I hope they will consider my offer for the result outcome.
    Last edited by madjokr; 1st December 2015 at 01:30 PM.

No. Second tier assessment IS the interview. Yes, they will take note of the fact you have the job offer. She is making certain of processing this as quickly as possible by doing the interview as well as checking out the job details. Either or both will give her the information she needs to form her conclusion on your case.

The company which offered me job is expecting me sometime mid of January.
    Don't get things backwards. The company can't legally start employing you till after you get the visa. They have known all along that you were a foreigner going through the visa process, so they have to wait for INZ to finalize things. They can HOPE for you to be there by then, but that's all.

We just had our interview with CO. The interview went well. We found a bit hard understanding the language. As I told/sent them my offer letter, most of the questions were about jobs/expenses/settling in the NZ. They also questioned my partner regarding the jobs. Overall, we believe, it went well. Still, I am nervous. I also asked them about the approximate result timeline. They replied the decision will be made by end of Dec or First week of Jan. Hope things go well.

What do you guys think is the possibility of success? Fyi: I have a job offer. I am scared about the interview, since we asked her to repeat few questions again.
    Last edited by madjokr; 8th December 2015 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast