Thread: Partnership requirements - stable and 12 months live-in

Default Partnership requirements - stable and 12 months live-in

Hi all,

I've searched the forum but can't seem to find a thread that answers my question. I have received an offer of employment from an employer on the accredited employers list, so I am eligible for a work visa and am just about to start that process.

I've been with my partner for about three and a half years. We've lived together for two and a half years of that time. Sadly, we had some issues over the summer and separated for about three months. We have since reconciled and are living together again. However, I'm now concerned about the requirement to have been living together in a stable relationship for 12 months.

From what I can tell about the evidence others have submitted, we have sufficient evidence to support our relationship has been ongoing since 2012. Postmarked letters addressed to both of us at three different addresses over a span of three years, photos together, pay slips, can get family members to write letters of support, etc. I am confident we have sufficient evidence. However I would be concerned about omitting the 'issues' we had as I would not want to be dishonest with INZ. So.. I wonder what to do here. I see two options:

(1) Be honest about the situation - but worried that they will in that case deny her a visa

(2) Neglect to mention the troubled times, and just submit the supporting evidence. After all, human relationships are complex, and I wouldn't consider moving with her if I didn't believe that the relationship was likely to endure. But I wouldn't want to have to be worried about having deceived INZ - but again I'm not really sure if that would be the case

Any advice on the above (or alternatives) would be greatly appreciated as I am confused about what to do. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to move to NZ, and now I'm finally so close and this problem has presented itself.

Thanks!

E.

As you are in the first instance being sponsored for a WTR (probably) by an accredited employer, your wife can apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa to match it for length of time. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm They don't mention a minimum length of time for evidence, but in practice, we've seen that they tend to take applications seriously that can show around three months'-worth of evidence leading up to the time of the application. You can send both applications together, linked with a covering letter, and the CO will work them as one case, supplying whatever (e.g. your visa number) you don't know up front as it becomes available.

It's when it comes to applying for Residence that you need to show 12 months'-worth of evidence. Either you can do that with what you have already, if you decide to apply under SMC quite soon, along with the work visas - and quite honestly, a lot of couples aren't under the same roof all the time for various reasons (e.g. I used sometimes to work away all over the country, leaving my partner at home), but if there's a steady stream of evidence before and after, there was some communication during, preferably, and the gap was a while in the past, so your case would probably pass. Or else, you could wait to apply for Residence until it is 12 months since you got back together again.

By the way, don't forget to keep collecting partnership evidence all the while during the processing of your work visas (INZ will ask for more just before granting them), then keep all of that and continue collecting afterwards to go towards the Residence application. Some old threads https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof to give you ideas of what to collect.

JandM,

Thanks for a quick and considered response! I saw as well that they didn't specify about the live-in requirement, but I wasn't sure if maybe that was an omission by mistake on their part - thanks for shedding some light.

The three month requirement is no problem for us.

I'll update the thread further down the line with an outcome.