Thread: Doctoral Student Coming to Christchurch

Default Doctoral Student Coming to Christchurch

After almost a year of trying to process admission and visa to NZ,I have finally been approved.

I would be coming to Christchurch(UC) to commence my doctoral study early 2016 as a self sponsored student. Since I am a newbie,I would appreciate information from members who are living,working,studying and resident in christchurch about life and living-any good and practical tips that will make it easy for me to settle down on time.

Accommodation;what is accommodation like? possible areas and cost implications too.if my family visa is out early,we intend to come together and if not they will join me later.I have a 3yr old boy and 5yr old girl and one wife.We dont intend on getting anything that big,a simple BQ will do us for a start except there are NZ laws that might be against such.

Schooling for kids:I would appreciate suggestions in this area too.As a doctoral student,my kids will have domestic status,what kind of fees will I be paying for them and what categories of schools will they belong and go to? do we buy books,uniforms etc?

Phones,Transportation and banks; what are the suitable phone plans for students? I have read owing a transport is a necesssity,could I have more information on it and how best to go about it? can i use my foreign drivers licence? what banks and services would you recommend?

Work Opportunities; I would like to augument my savings by starting my studies with some work. What are the opportunities available and how can I tap into them? Any links or associations needed for such? my wife would also be on open work permit.

These are some things I can easily put down now

Help this little brother with his anxieties.
    Last edited by omooba14; 25th November 2015 at 10:52 PM.

Letting you know I have seen your questions, at a time when I can't take a lot of time to answer.

Meantime, if you use Google, and enter site:enz.org followed by key words about your different queries, one after another, you will find that many of these topics have been discussed on the forum already, enough to give you more of a background to your planning, and further questioning. For instance, here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...+accommodation are the results of site:enz.org christchurch accommodation. (I recommend using Google because it does a more sensitive search than the forum's own Search.)

Very best wishes for the very busy and *different* time you have just ahead of you all right now. Congratulations on the visa.

About schooling, there is an article here that will explain the basics. http://www.enz.org/education-schools-new-zealand.html And here is the NZ Ministry of Education site. http://www.education.govt.nz/home/education-in-nz/

Here are some threads about part-time work in Christchurch. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=part-tim...hristchurch+nz If you give some idea of what area(s) of work you are interested in, people may be able to give you more specific help.

Thank you.
    Going through everything

If your going to the UC next year and your a student or staff, your children are eligible to go to Ilam School and Kirkwood Intermediate. Both schools are close to the university and have uniforms. Though i am not sure how much the uniforms cost. A lot of the staff members at UC who take their children to Ilam and Kirkwood tend to live far away.

Some parents also judge schools by deciles with 1 - being low and 10 - being high. There tends to be the stigma that a school with a low decile performs badly, while a school with a high decile performs exceptionally. Children who go to higher decile schools tend to do well. But don't be surprised if your children are enjoying and doing well in a low decile school.

Also if your looking for jobs definitely try trade me or seek.

But here is an explanation of what deciles actually measure. http://www.education.govt.nz/school/...ecile-ratings/

Quote Originally Posted by okeydokey12345 View Post
    If your going to the UC next year and your a student or staff, your children are eligible to go to Ilam School and Kirkwood Intermediate. Both schools are close to the university and have uniforms. Though i am not sure how much the uniforms cost. A lot of the staff members at UC who take their children to Ilam and Kirkwood tend to live far away.

Some parents also judge schools by deciles with 1 - being low and 10 - being high. There tends to be the stigma that a school with a low decile performs badly, while a school with a high decile performs exceptionally. Children who go to higher decile schools tend to do well. But don't be surprised if your children are enjoying and doing well in a low decile school.

Also if your looking for jobs definitely try trade me or seek.
    Thank you.
    I am going to UC.will check out the schools you have mentioned.
    Wondering why UC staff live far away-what could have been responsible for such?
    Can one easily get a small apartment in the range of $200/wk near the university because the school does not have family accommodation?

How valuable is using trademe,seek.co.nz etc since I am still overseas? Is there a way to overcome this barrier while seeking employment since one is not yet in NZ.