Thread: The start of a long process - SMC

Default The start of a long process - SMC

Hi all,

First post after lurking in the background for a while!

We have finally put together our EOI with 140 points (without a job offer at the minute). We were waiting to hear back on a job after short listing with one other local and the OH sadly didn't get it. Win some and loose some I suppose! But still on the hunt.

Positive note is that we have just been selected from the EOI pool and understand we will be further down the pecking order without a job offer and may take upto a year for approval but if we get an offer we will inform nz img who will possibly priorities it more than before.

The job the OH was unsuccessful for would have wanted her ASAP and my question is around that really. ( they said it didn't come down to how soon they could fill the post and I believe them) If it did occur again can we leave the SMC ticking over in the background and get a TWV to Get out and get working and get experience in NZ. Possibly adding more points! But also earning.

Am I right in saying that we would have to do our Medicals again for the smc if it was more than 3 months since the ones we would do for the SMC if it took that long?

Does a partner sponsored temp visa for me allow me to work or would it only be an exception on the visa that I can't?

Basically we are ready to go as soon as we can and I am trying to pre empt any issues! I'm thinking of doing our Medicals shortly but weary that we may sit for six months before an ITA without a job offer.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Hello.

understand we will be further down the pecking order without a job offer and may take upto a year for approval but if we get an offer we will inform nz img who will possibly priorities it more than before.
    Correct.

The job the OH was unsuccessful for would have wanted her ASAP and my question is around that really. ( they said it didn't come down to how soon they could fill the post and I believe them) If it did occur again can we leave the SMC ticking over in the background and get a TWV to Get out and get working and get experience in NZ. Possibly adding more points! But also earning.
    Correct.

Am I right in saying that we would have to do our Medicals again for the smc if it was more than 3 months since the ones we would do for the SMC if it took that long?
    If you mean, would you have to re-do the medicals during the processing, no, you wouldn't. The requirement for the medicals to be 'in date' is for lodgement, not afterwards. The only time INZ will normally require medicals to be done again is if they have reason to believe the person/people may have been in contact with something infectious or may have become ill in the meantime.
    Does a partner sponsored temp visa for me allow me to work or would it only be an exception on the visa that I can't?
    A partner-sponsored temporary work visa is an open visa - that means you can work at any job you are offered, and it doesn't have to be a skilled one, or you could run a business if you wanted. On the other hand, you don't HAVE to work just because you have got a work visa.

Thanks. That's reassures me.

Is the TWV as involved as the SMC for paperwork etc? I understand only the need for proving more than 3 months at that stage but I would propose showing as much as we have to have it on their system that we are together in a committed relationship for more than their 12 moths limit.

Thanks

Anybody else on the forum get selected in this round or recently?

EOI application 16/11/15
    EOI selected 25/11/15
    Waiting has started!

There are various kinds of temporary work visa. If it's the partner-sponsored one you're thinking of, this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../familystream/ shows you what they require. And yes, there's nothing stopping you showing ALL your partnership evidence for that. Don't forget to keep collecting evidence while the processing is going on, because INZ routinely ask for a bit more just before they issue the visa.

Otherwise, the main applicant may need to get an Essential Skills visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/, or a WTR http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../caniworkinnz/, depending on the employer's situation.

Thanks I'll have a wee look. It will be the SMC for the long term goal.

ITA received today! Yeaaaaa.

EOI application 16/11/15
    EOI selected 25/11/15
    ITA received 26/11/15
    Waiting has started!