Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time running out on visa while waiting for residency

Default Time running out on visa while waiting for residency

Hi all,

I'm just hoping to find some opinions or other's experiences of a similar situation. The time is running out on my partnership sponsored work visa (expires 6/1/16). I am currently awaiting an outcome on my residency application. I have a CO and was asked to submit more evidence which has been done. Since then I have heard nothing more from the CO, even though I emailed asking his opinion on whether I should apply for a further work visa to cover myself. I am aware that INZ closes for the stat holidays over the Christmas period, so am just a bit concerned about running out of time.

Would it be best to call INZ and ask, or should I just go ahead and apply for another visa. Obviously, financially I would prefer not to have to apply for another work visa, but it's definitely a more attractive option than not having a visa at all!!!

Thanks

In your place I would call INZ and ask, saying that you haven't had a reply from your CO on this same question. It just might shake something up for you. But yes, be prepared for putting in for a new work visa too. Even if it's only just lodged, with no time for it to be processed before your present one runs out, it will mean they can give you an interim visa to cover the gap.

Thanks JandM, will call and hopefully can shake things up!!

INZ open second week Jan 2016 I believe, so that is after you said your current visa expires, yes? Unless informed otherwise by your CO, I would be putting in a work visa and then also asking for an extension before they close for 2015 if it were me. Having said that, something has often happened for us, (welcome or not), just days after calling to check on progress.

One question. In our case our CO stipulated in his email to us that "This email is to inform you, I have been allocated your Residence visa application. Please forward any further questions or information you have in regards to your application to me," did your CO introduction email say anything similar? I am probably taking that too literally, it's just a general direction in a form letter possibly..I am no expert, my wife and I just have recent experience, her residency being lodged at Christchurch branch 6 October last, and her most recent work visa expiring Feb 16 2016.

OK I just looked at the calendar and the second week of Jan 2016 starts on the 3rd..still, talk about cutting it fine!
    Last edited by queny; 2nd December 2015 at 07:34 PM.

I spoke to INZ over the phone yesterday and they advised me that due to the closure period over xmas I would be best to put in a work visa application, even though my residency application is "very close to being finalized".

Queny - my CO said something similar to that to me re questions or information about the application in a letter he sent to me, and up till this week has been very prompt with his responses, however it seems that INZ are extremely busy in the run up to xmas, when I rang yesterday, I was number 64 in the phone queue!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ead89 View Post
    I spoke to INZ over the phone yesterday and they advised me that due to the closure period over xmas I would be best to put in a work visa application, even though my residency application is "very close to being finalized".

Queny - my CO said something similar to that to me re questions or information about the application in a letter he sent to me, and up till this week has been very prompt with his responses, however it seems that INZ are extremely busy in the run up to xmas, when I rang yesterday, I was number 64 in the phone queue!!
    Hi Ead89,

I was told the same yesterday that I should hear something very soon from INZ however, my visa expires in 2017. Can you please share your timelines with us? Please see mine below. Thanks.

EOI - July 2015
    ITA Lodged- 12/08/2015
    Employer verification, bank and IRD statement submitted - 11/11/2015
    INZ branch - Henderson
    Status - Pending

Call your CO again just before you put in your work visa renewal.

I did that when I was due to renew and my CO told me to hold on as he was going to finalise it within a few days. It is possible but like the others said, be prepared to renew your work visa to be on the safe side.

Good idea re calling CO breeze, I will ring Monday (when I intend to submit the visa application, if necessary). My timeline is as follows:

Jan 2013 - arrived on Working Hol Visa
    Dec 2014 - approved for one year partnership work visa
    Oct 2015 - submitted partnership residency application (received by Auckland Central on 7/10/15)
    Nov 2015 - co assigned and further evidence requested and sent
    Dec 2015 - waiting......

Certainly makes sense to try and get hold of the CO first, and afterwards do update us please on how it pans out for you Monday Ead89. Best wishes!

I've just seen the increase in fees which is to kick on 7 Dec....so does anyone know if I put in my work visa application tomorrow (physically drop it off at Auckland branch tomorrow morning that is), would I be charged the current fee?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast