Thread: On Silver Fern JSV waiting for work visa and/or SMC visa to be approved

Default On Silver Fern JSV waiting for work visa and/or SMC visa to be approved

Hi all,

Our situation is as follows:
    Last year me and my partner got Silver Fern JSV. It expires on 21/DEC/15.
    In June we applied for SMC visa based on my partner's job. He works as a web developer in Wellington. Our SMC visa application is processed in Auckland. We are in a regular contact with our CO as we have been asked to supply additional documents a few times which we've done.
    We understood that our SMC visa won't be decided until our JSV expires, so on 18/NOV we applied for work visas (my partner applied for Silver Fern practical experience and I applied for partnership sponsored work visa). Our applications are processed in Wellington and the decision is "pending".
    We are travelling out of NZ to our motherland on 17/DEC/15 and planning to return to NZ on 11/JAN/16.

We are getting a bit worried that our work visas also won't be decided until we fly out of NZ. I read that interim visa could be granted for us. Unfortunately, in our case this type of visa won't do the job as we'll get visitor visas and we won't be able to get back to NZ in January, and my partner won't be able to continue working. Thus, it should also have an effect on our SMC visa.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there any suggestion on what we could do in this situation? Should we call INZ Wellington explaining our case and ask for a solution? We'll appreciate any advice.
    Thank you very much!

I just wanted to know if your partner's job is a permanent one ?

If yes - I wanted to check if you have ever tried the Silver Fern Practical Work Experience Route ?. That route should be easy and a quicker option.

Its better to check with Case officer- about your case , the travel conditions when you hold an interim visa.
    Last edited by pnag; 2nd December 2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: additional info

Yes, my partner's job is a permanent one. My partner has applied for Silver Fern Practical Experience visa. We also thought that it should be quicker and easier than with any other work visa, but decision as of now is "pending".
    Do you suggest talking with our SMC visa CO or the CO who is reviewing our work visas? I don't think they'd be able to help in this case, because of the information provided in the link:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm
    "Will I be able to travel on an interim visa?
    No. Interim visas do not include travel conditions. This means that if you travel outside New Zealand while on an interim visa, your interim visa will automatically expire.
    Can I apply to have travel conditions put on my interim visa?
    No. No one can apply for travel conditions on their interim visa."

Sorry to say, you won't get INZ to do anything special that will definitely provide a visa in time to allow you to travel as planned. They are a huge government organization that follows its own rules, and they don't take account of people's feelings or social arrangements. I think the best you can hope for is that someone may be able to tell you IF one of your applications is anywhere near to being granted. But to be quite blunt, it may come to your having to make the decision to put off your trip, otherwise, as you have said yourself, you might have your visas lapse outside the country, which would mean your present applications would be invalidated, and all your NZ future plans would come to nothing.

Thank you for the reply!
    It looks like we could be missing just a few weeks here... Today we called Immigration NZ and they said that our work visas haven't got a case officer, yet (not promising at all). However, our SMC visa application is currently being checked by second person (which, I suppose, should be a good sign, but I've heard that getting resident visa stamp in passport isn't a quick process).
    Immigration NZ also asked whether interim visa wouldn't help; however, even if we stayed in NZ, my partner couldn't work, because he would be granted interim - visitor visa.

Hi team,

I find my self in a unique situation with the Silver Fern Practical Experience (SFPE) Work Visa. My old SFPE had a validity of one year. I found a new job, and lodged my application on the 4th of September. INZ comes back today and issues me a visa only for one year, while I have 13.5 months left on the SFPE visa as of today. (SFPE can be had for a maximum of 2 years)

I am confident the Immigration officer did not follow the rules, and issued it only for one year instead.

How do I raise a request to get this decision reviewed?

The 45 days should not matter, but I waited for the SFPE application hoping it would be valid for more than 12 months, against the typical 12 month extension issued in case of waiting for residency application.

The difference in wages was significant while waiting for the visa to come in.

Any suggestions on how to proceed further? Would it be worth it?

Refer to WL3.5 for the currency and conditions of a Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Refer to WL3.5 for the currency and conditions of a Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa.
    Thanks Kelerei,

I did call the INZ helpline, and they mentioned the CO issued visa based on WL3.5

It mentions the visa can only be issued for a maximum of 2 years from the grant of first SFPE visa. My first SFPE visa was granted on Dec 13, 2019. Based on that, my current visa should have been valid until Dec 13, 2021 and not Oct 30, 2021 as mentioned in the current issued visa.

I am pretty confident the CO might have been mistaken in this case. I am not sure if pointing this out might turn out to be an issue for that particular CO. At the same time, I also do not want to pay for another visa one year down the line if my SMC is not processed until then.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

Sorry, I can't (legally) provide you with any further suggestions -- you'll need to find a good LIA if you want further advice on this one.