Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out in NZ

Lightbulb Starting out in NZ

Hi guys, I've recently been given the idea of applying for a working holiday visa to NZ.
    I've been searching the forums regarding this and a lot of the posts were pretty outdated.
    Firstly, most of them were of people trying to convert the working holiday visas to other visas and hopefully be able to stay in NZ for good.

For my case, I actually do not intend to stay longer than the 6 months validity of the visa.

A short background about myself, I'm currently 22 years old and currently working in a full time job in Singapore.
    I'm pretty sick and tired of my job even though its only been 2 months of working due to certain reasons.
    My friend mentioned this opportunity of a working holiday visa and I'm really tempted to apply for it as an opportunity to take a break from my job and also to experience living in another country.

But here comes the issue for me:

I see people mentioning that the jobs I would most likely be able to get while on a working holiday visa would be menial jobs mostly in farms or fruit picking.
    I'm really curious if these type of jobs are really the only ones that I would most likely be working for if I were to come over on a working holiday visa. I would admit that I'm pretty weak and I'm not sure if I can survive doing menial jobs for a few months in a foreign country.

However, if this isn't the case, would it be easy for me to get a job (non menial ones) in the country? Which part of NZ would be more suitable for me to be doing job hunting for the period I'm staying in NZ. Is there a way to get a job first before flying over to NZ? I have not much clue and am still considering applying for the visa and do not wish to apply and then not use it afterwards due to any possible reasons.

I'm really interested in this experience but I would need to know the chances of me surviving in a foreign country for half a year before going back home.
    The main thing would be working and lodging in NZ and I would like as much experiences/opinions from people who have done this before to enlighten me on this very foreign idea of working abroad.

Also, if I were to apply and get approved with the visa, I would be going on this journey with 3 other friends. How difficult would it be for all 4 of us to be able to get a job in the same work place?

I hope to hear from you guys soon

Thanks

What sort of jobs are you thinking of? That might help people give you advice whether it is realistic or not.

Yes, in what career area are your skills and qualifications?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    What sort of jobs are you thinking of? That might help people give you advice whether it is realistic or not.
    I actually don't have a specific job in mind. But I'm really curious as to if the labour jobs are really the only ones that are more easily available for us on the working holiday visas. Also I heard that we can't be working full time permanent jobs while holding onto the working holiday visa..?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, in what career area are your skills and qualifications?
    I have a bachelor in business management and well, I only have 2 months of job experience. I'm working in a job similar to human resource.

No, labouring jobs aren't the only ones you can do on WHV. You can apply for anything you can do. If you can impress an employer, you can take that job. Conditions on the WHVs for different countries vary, so you need to check your own, but in general, you can work full-time, but obviously it won't be a permanent contract while you are on the WHV, because the employer knows you are only in the country on a temporary basis. So it will be a short-term contract for full-time work.

I don't think it's true that the only jobs you're likely to get on a WHV are menial ones. When I was on my WHV I managed to get a fairly decent job in IT, and several friends also got good jobs, both in IT and in other industries.

Hi manckiwi, can you share please your experience or anyone of your friends of how did you get a job, I am planning to move to auckland on april, searched alot in seek.co.nz and trademe.nz for software developer jobs but i started to feel that it is too hard to get a job there even i created my cv to nz style but no luck with job hunting, can you share what aproaches did you take in your case?

Are you in NZ yet or still in Jordan? In my experience it will be hard to find anything until you arrive in NZ. All of the people I knew obtained the job after arriving. There are lots of jobs in development as far as I'm aware, so you should get more response once you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by manckiwi View Post
    Are you in NZ yet or still in Jordan? In my experience it will be hard to find anything until you arrive in NZ. All of the people I knew obtained the job after arriving. There are lots of jobs in development as far as I'm aware, so you should get more response once you get here.
    Thanks for your reply, I am still in Jordan, moving on april to NZ but i thought i could arrange couple of interviews before i get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by bsohel View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I am still in Jordan, moving on april to NZ but i thought i could arrange couple of interviews before i get in there.
    Hi
    bsohel I am also planing to move on april if you don't mind pm maybe we can help each other searching jobs n even to look for accommodation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast