Thread: If AIP received for student visa - questions about dependent visa

Default If AIP received for student visa - questions about dependent visa

Hi,

If the spouse has received an agreement in principal (AIP) from the INZ, can the other spouse (who can apply for a dependent visa and is eligible to apply for an open work permit) begin his application process to eventually receive police clearance certificate (aka character certificate?), medical etc without receiving the NZ student visa (stamped on passport). I have been informed that I can start with the process but be sure to provide a copy of the AIP at the time of completing any of these formalities.

My other questions are:

1. How much time does it take for the spouse of the student visa holder to get the dependent visa (eligible for open work permit) after the application has been submitted?
    2. What are the chances of rejection?

Thanks!
    Famed
    Last edited by Famed; 6th December 2015 at 05:52 AM.

As you have been told, you can apply, and link your application to the spouse's student visa by giving all details in a covering letter and include a copy of the AIP message.

1. It depends on how things are going in the INZ branch you have to apply to. Use Google, and enter "Immigration NZ (whatever) branch processing times." The page that comes up will give you that branch's own estimate of how soon each kind of visa can be expected to go through. But notice, INZ timings are never a promise. For one thing, every case is individual and has to be checked out, and for another, the timings are just their best guess based on recent averages. It only takes a sudden flood of applications just before yours to make the estimates meaningless.

2. As long as you have good evidence of partnership, and you meet the other requirements, the visa should be granted. It is entirely dependent upon meeting the requirements.