Thread: NZ Citizenship

Default NZ Citizenship

Hi,

I am new to this forum,
    I just need advise regarding the NZ Citizenship.
    I am on NZ Resident Visa, Since 2012,
    This Year i got trouble with the law and have two convictions.
    Just wondering, if i am still eligible for NZ Citizenship.
    Help will be much appreciated.

There is a requirement to 'be of good character'. There is a guide to citizenship here. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Pubforms.nsf/URL/ApplicationGuideforGrantofNZCitizenshipgeneral.pdf/$file/ApplicationGuideforGrantofNZCitizenshipgeneral.pdf As you will see, at the beginning there is a quick test, including asking if you have been convicted of ANY offence in the last three years. A 'yes' to that directs you to a further box: "You might not meet one of the requirements for New Zealand citizenship by grant. You can apply when you do meet the requirements, or see pg 5 of this guide if you still wish to apply." There is more detail about what will, or will not, count against a grant of citizenship at question 23, further on in the document. It looks from that as though your convictions this year will delay the time when you will be able to apply for citizenship, but not wipe out the chance entirely. If you need more detail, you can contact the Department of Internal Affairs - their contact details are near the beginning of that document.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The requirements to get New Zealand citizenship is 5 years of living in New Zealand, isn't it? I just wonder if this 5 years requirements includes the time one is in NZ under residence visa? Would this mean that to qualify for citizenship one should have 3 years of PRship (plus 2 years of residency under resident visa)?

It can be applied for when you meet the requirements, which cover five years after you start living in NZ as a resident. PR isn't mentioned in the requirements, probably because, quite legally, people don't HAVE to apply to get PR at the very first moment they are eligible for it, and anyway, they may not be eligible for it straight away two years after they first activated their Residence visa. But logically, for quite a lot of people, they would be applying after what you said - two years' residence and three years' permanent residence.

Thank you, JandM

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It can be applied for when you meet the requirements, which cover five years after you start living in NZ as a resident. PR isn't mentioned in the requirements, probably because, quite legally, people don't HAVE to apply to get PR at the very first moment they are eligible for it, and anyway, they may not be eligible for it straight away two years after they first activated their Residence visa. But logically, for quite a lot of people, they would be applying after what you said - two years' residence and three years' permanent residence.