Thread: Do I need to assess my Bachelors of Engineering with NZQA?

Default Do I need to assess my Bachelors of Engineering with NZQA?

Hi guys,

Possibly someone else might have asked this same question but I could not find the relevant post.

I have a Bachelor of Engineering degree from Anna university India - Need NZQA assessment for sure

I also have a Master of Science degree from Nanyang Technological university Singapore - Exempt from NZQA.

Now, can I submit the EOI with just my Master degree and claim points or should I get NZQA for my Bachelor degree also to claim points?

And in the future once I receive ITA, should I still get my Bachelors degree assessed? Do we have extra points for that?

Aravind

Hi,

I have also graduated from the same universities and I did my IQA for claiming the bonus points.

You can submit your Masters degree which is exempt from assessment but it has to be present in the list of qualifications in LTSSL list. Else you may have to get IQA done along with Appendix-B.

For instance, if you had done Masters in Mechanical Engineering and your line of work is in IT then you wont get bonus points. So if your Bachelors degree is on IT, Electronics or Electrical then you can use your Bachelor's degree for IQA with Appendix-B form.

You can get points only for Bachelors or Masters not for both.

You will get points for the highest level qualification you have. SM14. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm But if you need bonus points for Area of Absolute Skills Shortage for qualification and for work experience, you will need your bachelor's degree to be assessed as comparable to one of the qualifications listed in the drop-down box on the skills checker. http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

Thanks all,

My Bachelor degree is in Production engineering under Mechanical school, My Master of Science is in Smart product design under Mechanical engineering as well. And my entire 7 years of experience is as a Mechanical design engineer.

So I guess I can use my Master of Science degree for points with my experience.

Also Mechanical engineer is listed in long term skill shortage.

Hi Aravind,

Smart product design course is a specialization in MAE school. I am not sure whether it is equivalent to mech engg course/degree according to NZ standards/framework. Also NTU master's degree will fetch you only level 8. If you want level 9, then you need to do IQA.

I have come across all those stuff before. I did my IQA with NTU degree and got only generic outcome. So I approached IPENZ thereafter.

May i know how many years of experience you want to claim and in which country ?

Hi I am planning to get only level 8 as along with my wife's qualification (have to assess with NZQA later) can reach 140 points. I am planning to create EOI after March 2016 once I have 6 years of work experience in Singapore. I worked 1.5 years in India but that won't be considered as equivalent job market right?

So basically,
    My qualification - Master of Science Smart product design (went inside NZQA site also to confirm I cannot choose this course to assess. This is definitely exempt and I can claim level 8)
    My experience - 6 years in Singapore as Mechanical engineer in March 2016 (Also listed in LTSSL)
    IELTS - Overall 7.5
    My wife's qualification - BE from Anna university (Need to assess NZQA) later

Please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks

Hi, Seems ok to me. You are lucky if you get specified outcome in IQA which unlocks your bonus points.