Thread: SMC Qualification Questions

Default SMC Qualification Questions

Hi guys, I would like to hear from you about my situation.
    I'm planning in apply for residence under SMC, my currently situation is:

- I have a degree in IT area (embedded systems) studied in Brazil
    - I have about 10 years of experience in that field
    - I have a technician diploma in another area too
    - I am studying english to obtain a minimum 6.5 IELTS score
    - I am already doing some interviews for IT positions, but until now I got nothing.
    - I have a brother which is nz resident (almost citizen)
    - I am 31, married, and will put my wife on application as well
    - She is 28, has a degree in accounting (Brazil) and is studying to obtain a minimum 5 IELTS score.

So, my questions:

1. What do I need do to for claim points for my qualification? Do I need to bring my diploma and take it to NZQA? How it works? I've heard that diploma validation takes us to 3 months, is it real?
    2. If my wife don't reach the minimum english requirement, we could pay for "pre-purchase ESOL training" intead, right? But, what it means? How much it will cost?
    3. About the pool, for someone that gets just 100 points, is there any real chance to be invited?

1. First, look and see if your qualification is on this list. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35171.htm You would need to find the exact name of your qualification, from the institution where you obtained it, and the date in the last column needs to cover the year you graduated, for it to be exempt from assessment.

If you don't find your qualification is exempt, then you need to submit it for the IQA from NZQA. Look here. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/ (Don't bother with PAR, which is a waste of time and money - you have to get IQA later anyway.) Notice the link near the bottom of that page to the Guide, which explains a lot of detail. The time it takes varies. You will probably find other people on the forum discussing how their IQAs are going.

2. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...soltuition.htm (I found this by using Google, and entering "INZ pre-purchase ESOL" - you can find a lot of information this way.)

3. Since the NZ government changed the immigration quotas three or four years ago, an EOI with no job or job offer in NZ will not get selected with anything under 140. (140 will get selected at the very next draw.) An EOI with a job or job offer will get selected with a minimum of 100.

I suggest you look here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm. SM6 has a chart with all possible points, and the other sections give the detailed requirements for being able to claim those points.

Hi,
    If you plan for special points such as LTSL skils. Better apply NZQA - IQA first, before submitting EOI.

Thanks for replies, well:

1 - my qualification is not on the list of exempt from assessment
    2 - thanks man, I was lazy, sorry for that. I should have searched before ask.
    3 - as my qualification is on LTSL skills, I plan for claim points, thanks for the advice

so, the first pass is:
    - validate my diploma with NZQA - IQA to obtain an equivalent NZQF Level
    - get the proof of my work experience
    - do the IELTs test and get a good score

Do you guys think that this application worth an advisor assessment or is simple enough for pay someone?

You would be easily able to apply yourself. If you want to be told every single step, pay an adviser, but it can cost a lot. Most people don't NEED to be told everything, because the instructions are on the INZ site. If part way through the process you find there is something complicated arising, you can look on the forum, and very likely find someone has had the same experience, and/or you can employ an LIA then if it's really awkward.

Thanks so much JandM.

I'm doing a simulation of my points to plan better what do I need to do. I would like someone could take a look and give your opinion about it.
    I still don't have a job offer, but I'm considering that I have because otherwise I don't have enough points to be selected from the pool.

10 Close family (brother resident)
    50 Skilled employment in NZ for less than 12 months
    10 Work in identified future growth area (IT SM8.10)
    10 Work in an area of absolute skills shortage
    30 Work in a region outside Auckland
    50 Recognised level 7 or 8 qualification
    10 Qualification in an identified future growth area
    10 Qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage
    20 Work experience (6 yrs)
    225 TOTAL POINTS

That list above is a optimist list and more hard to get (more things to prove), but I could only claim for some points making things easier like in list below:

25 Age (30-39 yrs)
    50 Recognised level 7 or 8 qualification

In this case, I could accept an offer in Auckland region, don't need to worry about NZQA qualification description match a LTSSL and don't need to prove my work experience.
    Or another option when I don't even need to pay for my qualification equivalency:

25 Age (30-39 yrs)
    10 Work in an area of absolute skills shortage
    30 Work in a region outside Auckland

What do u guys say?

Source: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/default.htm

Skilled Employment in NZ - Claim points if already in NZ and working.

Nobody can claim bonus points on their qualification and work experience for BOTH Area Of Absolute Skills Shortage AND Identified Future Growth Area. If you haven't a skilled job in NZ, you claim AASS, and if you have, you claim IFGA.

I suggest you read very carefully all the regulations here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm. SM 6 has a chart of the points, and the other sections tell you the detailed requirements for claiming each group.