Thread: Interrogated in Customs

Default Interrogated in Customs

I have received a job offer relevant to my experiance and qualiforcations.How can being stopped by customs in the Airport and being questioned about my reasons for coming to New Zealand, Were I did say that my reason was to visit friends. Does anyone know how can this now effect my application for my work permit? Thanks for your help in advance.

Customs and Immigration are two different authorities and both can ask you any questions they want, thats just the way it works anywhere in the world.
    Job offer does not give one any rights or privileges to cross NZ border without customs check.
    Just be honest and you will be fine

You say that you have come to visit friends. You say that since you arranged your visit, you have received a job offer. You say that you will not attempt to work in that job until you have a visa that allows you to do so. And if your visitor visa expires before that happens, you will return home and apply from there.

Not only do you say those things, you comply.

Slightly puzzled that you already give your location as NZ though? Are you saying you've already told immigration that you are here as a visitor? As long as you've not overstayed, and you don't work in that job before you have the right visa, what you told immigration on arrival shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by RedVee; 21st December 2015 at 08:16 PM.

I think you're saying you came as a visitor, and told immigration you were visiting friends. But NOW you have a job offer and want to apply for a work visa.

If that is right, as long as you were telling the truth AT THE TIME, there should not be any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I think you're saying you came as a visitor, and told immigration you were visiting friends. But NOW you have a job offer and want to apply for a work visa.

If that is right, as long as you were telling the truth AT THE TIME, there should not be any problem.
    hi thank you for you reply, yes I have come to visit my friend(I m in New Zealand), custom stop me and did questions for about one hour , after they let me go, and a friend of my friend have bought a business 4 month ago ( the business been for 5 years) , the employer have advertise and been to Winz but they have not luck, employer offer me a job and they done the application but I haven't get any answer and my tourist visa will expire soon, I am worry if what happen in custom can affect the application?.

It might depend on what Customs or Immigration talked to you about and what you told them. If they asked you whether you were intending to look for a job while in New Zealand and you said that the purpose of your visit was to take in the beauty of the Bay of Islands, but somehow ended up with a job offer, then they might well take a dim view of this. If on the other hand, they just talked to you about how clean your hiking boots were, then there is nothing to worry about.

There are other points to keep in mind, such as a minimum income your job has to earn, your qualifications, if your skills are on the shortage list, etc.