Thread: SMC - few short questions. BTW, merry xmas! :)

Default SMC - few short questions. BTW, merry xmas! :)

Hi, my partner and I have been to NZ on WHV a couple of years ago and are now trying to apply for Skilled Migrant visas. The questions are mostly about how strict are they about dates (I couldn't find much about these in older posts):
    1. My partner has been working in positions related to her qualification (software developer and analyst) for 5 and a half years. In order to be able to tick “6 years”, or “6 years plus” in the other field, she MUST actually work until being able to prove she has worked for 6 years and one day, right? But, does she need to wait until she has worked exactly 6 years to submit the EOI?
    2. In another question it is required to state the countries in which one has lived for at least 12 months. On each Working Holiday Visa (one in NZ and one in Australia) we spent almost a whole year in each country, minus a few days. How does this count?
    3. I have read heaps of posts about other people's experiences in proving the genuine partnership thing. Would it make it any easier to get married? We wanted to wait till we settle down in NZ to do so, but could do it before if it can make things easier.
    4. Doing the EOI points indicator, my girlfriend got 50 points because of her qualification (Bsc in Computer Science which she's about to send for an IQA) plus an extra 10 points for such qualification being in the list of LTSSL.
    But while filling the forms in the actual EOI as to have a more accurate picture, only 50 points were given altogether, as if the qualification belonging to LTSSL had not been taken into account. Any idea why?

Thanks heaps everyone!

1. Yes, she must have actually done the whole time before sending the EOI. INZ don't count anything on a presumption that it WILL happen, only things that HAVE happened. (After all, something beyond her control could crop up to prevent her finishing out the few weeks she is assuming she will do.)

2. If you weren't there for the full 12 months, those places don't count. But be careful that you are counting days correctly, or it could cause you problems. If INZ found you HAD done a year somewhere after all, for one thing you would have to try to get a police certificate from that country, which would delay your application, and for another, INZ can sometimes consider a mistake as fraud, which can block the grant of any visa, now and in the future.

3. Being married isn't a requirement for partnership, and it doesn't even carry particular weight as evidence. (Fraudsters are capable of lying at a wedding ceremony, and have often been known to pay people to go through one.) If you've seen the old threads, you'll know that what counts is a succession of evidence that you are and have been living together for the last 12 months, of as many different kinds as possible, and including communications, preferably pieces of post, from official bodies (e.g. banks, insurance companies, etc.) , not just people who know you personally.

4. No, unless the lack of the IQA number might trigger omiting the bonus points. To get a clear idea of your points, I suggest looking here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm SM6 has a chart with all possible points, and the other sections give the detailed requirements for claiming each set.

Q3: Unless you have solid prove that you and your partner have been together for longer than 12 months, I do not think getting married will make any difference.

Q4: Is your partner going to be the main applicant? You will only receive the 10 extra points for the LTSSL if you have answered "Yes" at the question about if you are claiming points for a qualification in one of the areas of absolute skills shortages.

You guys rock! Your prompt reply is very much appreciated. Happy holidays!