Thread: How to arrange documents for a Partnership visa

Default How to arrange documents for a Partnership visa

Hi there,

My partner and I are in the process of preparing a partnership based visa application, we have a lot of evidence to put together and was wondering if anybody knows the best order/way to put in together in a folder?
    We are planning to use a ring binder folder with coloured tabs and put each piece of paper in a clear file (I take it this is a good way to do that part?) but as for a the variety of evidence we have, I was wondering if there is some sort of order to put it in, I know chronological order would be the obvious answer here but I am thinking more along the lines of having our evidence divided into groups, mail addressed to us, support letters, photos etc.

We have a lot of mail addressed to both of us such as utility bills, and informal mail addressed to us individually such as personal mail and courier packages etc, should we put all the internet bills in chronological order first, then all phone bills, bank statements etc, then personal mail last, or do we simply take everything we have and put in purely chronological order, this way nothing would be grouped and it would all be mixed up, but it would be in chronological order from start to finish. (I hope that makes sense)

A small random question on the side - Is a 5-6 page cover letter to overkill? I know cover letters are usually best kept short and sweet, but for something so important I felt it would be necessary to give a lot of detail into our lives together from meeting each other to present.

no no no, INZ don't like folders, or especially bound documents or rings binders. best just put all on a clip, or loose in a large envelope or plastic envelope type folder. Keep your cover letter reasonably concise, when you first meet, when you first went out, when you started living together, any other significant events, Remember you only need to prove 12 months living together so important to include documents that cover the last 12 months,. Reference them in you letter to included tabs if necessary. Should be chronological.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th December 2015 at 12:02 PM.

INZ don't like folders or binders for several reasons. They take up extra room in the office, where they only NEED the papers. They slip and slide when stacked up. And bindings of any kind are a nuisance when an official needs to take out one or two individual pages at a time, to work on, or to copy.

Thanks for the info ChrisMwn and JandM,

I was not expecting that about the folders, could be tricky for us to overcome as we have a lot of evidence of our partnership and that comes in all different shapes and sizes, I think it would end up all over the desk of our CO as soon as it was opened if it was not held together in a folder, there is greeting cards, boat and movie tickets, boarding passes, the works! Don't immigration advisors and lawyers prepare partnership applications in folders? We have our clear pockets held in by the ring binder but the evidence etc is not hole punched and can be taken out of the clear pockets easily. This is the same way we supplied the visitor visa for my partner and we had no feedback at all (in Moscow).

But the more important part was the arranging of the mail addressed to us, should we sort this into groups, such as internet bills, power bills, car insurance bills etc then each group into date order, or do we combine all of the mail together without sorting it into groups and put it into date order?

Thanks

We applied for the same visa through the London branch recently and has been accepted for processing. My covering letter was concise , in point form ,chronological and only ran into two pages. I arranged my evidence accordingly. I.e to match the covering letter in lots. Each lot corresponded to a point in the covering letter. Each lot was put in a clear plastic folder with a covering description of what it contained.I did not use any plastic document sleeves as they are cumbersome for anybody to deal with. We were dealing with a 16 year relationship with the last 12 being married, hence the whole package came to 3kg. When I received my documents back I noticed somebody has kept some documents and copied a few others. They left behind the hand written post it notes that said " best evidence" and "other relevant evidence of relationship". I got the impression they have not touched 40% of my evidence including some bank statements but only the more concrete evidence like our tax returns and superannuation returns that nominated each other. They also updated my online status to be some thing like they have made a decision and was being despatched to me. It turned out to be just return of documents with an acknowledgement letter that did not even specify the waiting period as they suggested they would earlier.
    I have dealt with many immigration departments during my life and know them to be very error prone. My suggestion is you make their life a little bit easier by any way you can....hope this helps

Its funny I have prepared my application the exact same way as everest ! I also applied for an Australian NZ Partner Visa a while back and the CO there said thank you for presenting your application the way it is and that it was very well organized ( probably because they receive binders and folders all day and its a complete love fest on there table haha )
    I really did have to restrain myself to not send any in the first place when you go to the stationery store they have so many nice ones. !
    So my tip is go to this link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/BB72F465-E9D3-4DB9-8460-
    4F15F4F25B60/0/LondonTipsforResidencyApplicationLodgement.doc

its from the London Branch INZ website and especially for partnership visas and how to organize them. just put them in order the way they tell you in that document and for the nitty gritty small things like boarding passes, photos, wedding invitations i used ONE plastic plastic sleeve and tucked it all in there loosely.
    most important thing is the cover letter on top and a letter where you index all your documents ( 1a, and put that on the left hand corner of the paper) with an explanation of what it is in a few words.

Another things is your application will not go straight to your CO , first a supporting officer will organize you application and copy things etc and then put you in the queue to be allocated to a CO and during that process will , like everest said , prioritize some documents and leave some untouched .

Good luck!

and don't forget you do not need to provide every single document. A good selection of documents that clearly shows the starting point of your living together, and that you have been living together for (the last) 12 months is what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    and don't forget you do not need to provide every single document. A good selection of documents that clearly shows the starting point of your living together, and that you have been living together for (the last) 12 months is what is needed.
    Thank for that, My partner and I have managed to get her a limited visa so she could live with me for four months so we can meet the living together requirement for a partnership visa. We are two months into the four months and have managed to get a lot of mail in both of our names and are doing what we can to collect evidence of our partnership. So we will only have a time span of four months but will have a fair bit of evidence to put in with the application. Our thoughts were to put everything together and arrange it very well in chronological order and submit everything we have, we have herd many people say "overkill is good" when talking about partnership visas.

But also, can anyone on here tell me what they have done with their joint utility bills? such as do they arrange each bill into groups, such as internet bills, then power bills, then insurance bills etc? or did they mix them all together but put everything in chronological order? thanks

best with this months bills together, bills from 3, 6 , 9 12 months ago, grouped together.