Thread: Getting married abroad: paperwork?

Default Getting married abroad: paperwork?

Hi all,

I am recently engaged and looking at planning the wedding.

However, the paperwork end seems pretty confusing! Anybody with any previous experience and tips?

The confusing bit is because I am British, my partner is Mexican, we live in NZ, but will be marrying in Mexico through the Catholic Church (hopefully, as i'm not Catholic, so we need to check this).

From what I can tell, I need to:
    - live in Mexico 3 full days before I ask the British Embassy in Mexico City to give notice of our wedding for 7 days
    - provide blood tests for both of us 15 days before the wedding
    - provide the UK authorities with a translated and certified (apostilled) marriage certificate afterwards?
    - do the same for NZ?

It's hard to keep track of what three separate countries want!!!

Any advice welcome!

I don't know anything to help you, but wanted to say congratulations!

Is this an immigration question, or a more general one? Remember for NZ Immigration, a marriage certificate counts for little. What's important is that you can show that you have lived together for 12 months, whether married or not.,

Thanks, JandM!

I guess it's not strictly an immigration question but I wasn't sure where to post it. I've tried to find out as much online as possible but I never trust 100% in just what a website says, as there are often lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' that forget to get mentioned. I'm just not sure what NZ needs from me so I can get the marriage certified (is that the word?!) in NZ. I suppose if NZ considers couples to have the same rights if they are married OR have been living together two years, then it won't affect anything immigration-wise, as we have already been living together for two years, and by the time we get married it will be 3 or 4.
    Am I right in thinking that in NZ marriage doesn't grant any extra rights to couples? (if true, I approve of this as it always peeves me when a 1year marriage can be worth more than a 6year relationship!!).

Hello!

You need to check the rules and regulations binding Marriages in that country. In your case, Mexico.

I reckon, you can register your marriage in the UK or NZ respectively (If allowed to)