Thread: helping me make the right decision

Default helping me make the right decision

Hi all hope somebody can help me i am in the process of starting a new life in christchurch we are a family of 3, i cant help but wonder have i made the right decision though. In the UK we live in a place called kent which is quite a nice area i have a good job (but very stressfull), and our son is currently making lots of friends at pre school. Can somebody please give me some reassurance that we are making not only a big move but the right one. Like i said i have a well paid job but never get to spend any time at home as always working. I will be the only one working at first in NZ and the job i have been offered after tax works out at 1200 dollars a week is this enough to live on obviously when little one starts full time school next year my wife will work.

would very much love some response
    thanks guys
    Lewis

No doubt people will come back to you about Christchurch, salary level, etc.. But meantime, be reassured that MANY people suddenly start to wonder if they're doing the right thing when they've gone hopefully and excitedly through all the planning and waiting. It's a big step, and it's human nature to wish someone could tell us what is round the next corner. Don't blame yourself for being human.

You are doing the right thing by trying it - if things don't work out you can always come back. As the previous poster said, you're only human and everyone making such a move is bound to have doubts at some point. You're much more likely to regret not going and giving it a try. In my opinion, New Zealand offers a much better lifestyle and is a great place for kids to grow up. Kids make friends wherever they are, and most likely your son will make lots of friends in NZ too.

I'm actually flying to NZ tonight from the UK on a one - way ticket, and if I had 1 for every time I've questioned my decision I'd be flying first class! I keep telling myself not to be so black and white about things - most decisions aren't irreversable.

New Zealand is always worth an adventure, as long as you know what you are getting into. $1200 per week is ok, but not luxurious by any means. A three bed house can easily cost $500 a week in rent or mortgage and most items of the household consumption basket are more expensive than on the UK. Another point to bear in mind is that a return flight to the UK for four people can cost you $12,000. Apart from all that, it is a great place!

Regarding household spending, there are many people who make the mistake at first of trying to shop in the same way they did in the UK or the US, looking for the exact same items in the same KIND of shop. That way they will pay a lot more than they need to. Learning to shop in the Kiwi way reduces costs considerably. It's a different country and the possibilities are different. Investigate. (For instance, one lesson I learnt on an early trip when I wondered why I couldn't find any lemon juice to buy was to be gently told by my son, 'Lemon trees grow like weeds. There are two in the hedge over there. Go and pick a lemon and squeeze it.')

And here are some links with hints.

http://www.enz.org/22-ways-to-slash-...w-zealand.html
    http://www.enz.org/new-zealand-super...ing-guide.html
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4260 (Old thread so the prices are probably not still the same, but the principle is entirely right.)

thanks guys great help