Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Certificate - updated at immigration but not by myself?

Default Police Certificate - updated at immigration but not by myself?

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto a situation. I've recently called immigration to confirm the dates of my medical, xray, and police certificate just to double check everything was still current for my next application which will be a partnership visa.

I was told my police certificate was renewed in June 2015, and instead of questioning it, I wrote it down, thanked them and said goodbye, and then it hit me - the only time I submitted a police certificate (actually FBI cert. as I'm from the states) was back in 2013... so I rang them back, questioned if they had any more details, and all they said is that as far as they're concerned it is updated and if I'm worried, I should just get another certificate from the FBI...

The only thing I could think of though, was I had a job who asked if they could do a background check on me, which I agreed to, in June this year - I'm wondering if this information was passed onto immigration??? And if this is sufficient for them?? I'm just a bit confused as to what to do with my application...should I try to get another FBI cert. just in case? Also, if it's not here in time, as I need to apply sooner than later (current visa exp in March) would it get rejected without that one thing??

Any assistance very much appreciated! I was going to ring them back again, but I don't seem to be getting more than a "īt looks good from here....but maybe get another cert anyway"

Cheers!

Hello.

It sounds as though what you need there is a crystal ball, and I don't see any way I can say anything to you except that it looks good, but maybe you ought to get another certificate just in case. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if INZ can't tell you where the FBI check that is apparently on their records came from, and if the employer doesn't know if their check got passed on to INZ, I can't see any way of knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by bud814 View Post
    Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto a situation. I've recently called immigration to confirm the dates of my medical, xray, and police certificate just to double check everything was still current for my next application which will be a partnership visa.

I was told my police certificate was renewed in June 2015, and instead of questioning it, I wrote it down, thanked them and said goodbye, and then it hit me - the only time I submitted a police certificate (actually FBI cert. as I'm from the states) was back in 2013... so I rang them back, questioned if they had any more details, and all they said is that as far as they're concerned it is updated and if I'm worried, I should just get another certificate from the FBI...

The only thing I could think of though, was I had a job who asked if they could do a background check on me, which I agreed to, in June this year - I'm wondering if this information was passed onto immigration??? And if this is sufficient for them?? I'm just a bit confused as to what to do with my application...should I try to get another FBI cert. just in case? Also, if it's not here in time, as I need to apply sooner than later (current visa exp in March) would it get rejected without that one thing??

Any assistance very much appreciated! I was going to ring them back again, but I don't seem to be getting more than a "īt looks good from here....but maybe get another cert anyway"

Cheers!
    Are you sure they didn't give you the expiry date, June 2015, two years after it was issued?

Hello! Thank you for the replies!

Hi JandM - I might just get another FBI cert just incase - but is it poor form to apply for the next visa without having it just yet?? I don't think it'll get here in time by the time I'll apply in early Feb

Hi Chris, no no - it's definelty something new as they said I was good until 2018 for that certificate! She told me the other two expiry dates for medical and X-ray and then said "oh, you just sorted the police cert in June this year so that's all good if you're applying for anything over the next 2 years" plus, my fbi cert I brought in a couple years back was from March, so still wouldn't add up! I've been thinking of everything, just so strange!!

2017*

I think you can apply on the strength of the certificate they tell you you've got. If by chance then INZ says you need a new certificate after all, you can refer them back to all your questions and their answers, then there shouldn't be any problem about their waiting for the new certificate that is on the way. In your place I would keep careful records of the dates on which who said what to you on the subject.

Thanks JandM - I'll might just add a wee note in that section of the application, explaining what happened and that a new one will be on the way just in case. Holidays are a tricky time, just needing to get a finger print appt at the police station to get that ball rolling just as back up!

A seperate question, if that's ok on this thread unless I need to start a new one?? Sorry - don't know what's best!! Will add below.

I just realised the partnership visa and partnership residency are very similar in requirements... My partner and I have been together for over 2 years, and just passed the 1 year mark of living together. Is it weird to apply for the visa AND residency at the same time??

I do plan on staying here long term, and just realised that since my X-ray expires in a few months, it might be a good idea to get the application in before it expires and save myself from needing another X-ray, saving a bit of $$. Is it strange to apply for both at the same time?? I've been here for over 3 1/2 years, student visa, working holiday, student visa and then post study to work currently. I originally came here for 6 months as a study abroad student from the US and fell in love with NZ and Vic Uni, transfered, and completed my degree here in December 2014.

I was hoping maybe I could just apply for residency, but since my visa expires early March, from what I've read here, I doubt it'll be approved before my visa expires!!

Cheers!!

What a lot of people do is apply for Residence, then if it gets to within 8 weeks of the expiry of their old visa, contact INZ to ask if their Residence is likely to be through in time, or should they get a partner-sponsored temporary work visa? If you have plenty of evidence, well-presented, partner-sponsored residence can come through surprisingly quickly. But if they say no, to apply for the partner-sponsored work visa is quite easy, using a lot of the same material (so make sure you keep copies, details, etc., and keep on collecting because they commonly ask for some more just before granting any visa). And as long as you've got an application in for a temporary work visa, they will automatically give you an interim visa if time runs out (but they can't do that on a residence application).

I just rang back to re-re-recheck that Police Certificate thing. According to them it was renewed in June this year...still strange but wrote down the time of my call for my records... But then I'm at a hurdle again for residency, as you need a valid police cert. issued no later than 6 months from the date of the application for the residency application (visa is fine she said).... Am I right in assuming it'll be extremely risky to submit a residency based on partnership application with the consignment note/scanned application of the FBI note as there is noooo way that I'll get that cert in the next couple of weeks??

Thinking back, similarly had this issue with a student visa in 2013. My student visa was approved before the FBI cert. came back, but I provided proof I sent it off in my application for my visa, and once the cert came in I sent it to INZ straight away. Not sure if they're that flexi with residency?

A5.10 d iv would apply, wouldn't it? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41439.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast