Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Visa via Partnership - Processing Times

Default Resident Visa via Partnership - Processing Times

Good morning,

I'm looking for some information in regards to the processing times of a NZ Resident Visa.

This forum seems very informed, so hopefully you may be able to help.

I'm currently on a 'Work Visa' in NZ via 'Partnership'. This visa expires in on the 20th April 2016, but as of the 8th April 2016; I can apply for a 'Resident Visa' via 'Partnership', as my girlfriend & I have been living together in New Zealand for 12 months.

Basically, the crux of what I want to know is, how long is the processing time for a 'Resident Visa'? I've read on the INZ website it could take up to 9 months. Therefore I would have to get another 'Work Visa' in order to satisfy INZ regulations. This is no problem as I have sufficient evidence for this to be granted I would think, however I was hoping to start my plumbing apprenticeship, which I cannot undertake until I have a 'Resident Visa'. From experience do 'Resident Visa' applications always take 6-9 months, or is this just a guideline? I appreciate each case differs on it's individual merits etc, but a standard application with sufficient evidence...will it more than likely take up to 9 months? If anyone has any experience of this or been in this position, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Stuart
    Last edited by Stuart-W; 6th January 2016 at 10:01 AM.

Like many people, you're hoping that someone can read the future for you, and nobody can. You've said it yourself, that you understand cases vary. They do - there is no such thing as a standard case. So do working conditions vary in INZ offices - how many cases were submitted just before yours, possible staff absence due to training and sickness, some of your referees replying promptly or not... All I can tell you, and I know it's frustrating, is that some people's visas come through very quickly, and some don't. That said, as you've previously had a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, you are well-placed, because INZ have already recognized that you have a genuine partnership. I'd GUESS that your application would go through quickly for that reason, but there are no guarantees, and no way to put a specific timing on it.

Hi Stuart,

As JandM said there is no spacific time frame on processing application. However if you have provided INZ with all requried/relevant/strong information and evidence, then it will help speed up your application processing time. I have recently participated in a INZ conference and was advised that INZ is trying very hard to shorten application processing time. The matter that slowing down the process is that the officer have to come back to you and ask for futher/missing information/documents.

I have previously submitted Residence visa under partnership myself. I provided so much information that the officer has no need to contact me further. I received my residence visa in less than 2 months. Again that is different among the officers.

All the best for your application and I hope that it will not take too long for you.
    Let me know if you have any further question - happy to give advice.

Regards

Thank you both for the advice.

Yeah, I was pretty certain it's hard for anyone to put a specific time frame on such applications.

SK - Out of interest, how far did you go with providing evidence to prove a genuine relationship etc? I think I will have enough, but would prefer to have too much than too little.

I submitted my application in May 2015 (noting that my partnership work visa expires December 2015). I have provided all the documents I feel will help in our application. The CO has never contacted me for any additional documents, and I have never found out who is our CO. AIP issued around 3rd week of October.

It took 5 months for my application to be approved but as I have seen on other posts, some have been approved in less than 2 months and others still waiting for a CO to be assigned six months after the application has been lodged.

Hi, new to this forum but here is my experience:
    Lodged Residence Visa via Partnership at the Wellington Branch: 05/11/2015.
    Case officer assigned: 21/12/2015
    Residency approved: 23/12/2015

I was on a partnership based work visa (expiry date April 2016) and before that WHV, but have spent 8 months in Europe in between my WHV and Work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbertnes View Post
    Hi, new to this forum but here is my experience:
    Lodged Residence Visa via Partnership at the Wellington Branch: 05/11/2015.
    Case officer assigned: 21/12/2015
    Residency approved: 23/12/2015

I was on a partnership based work visa (expiry date April 2016) and before that WHV, but have spent 8 months in Europe in between my WHV and Work visa.
    Funny that, I applied ( lodged ) on the exact same date the 05/11/2015 ( London Branch ) , had my CO assigned on the 23/12/2013 and its with 2PC now.
    lucky it was that fast especially for inside NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart-W View Post
    Thank you both for the advice.

Yeah, I was pretty certain it's hard for anyone to put a specific time frame on such applications.

SK - Out of interest, how far did you go with providing evidence to prove a genuine relationship etc? I think I will have enough, but would prefer to have too much than too little.

Hi There,

I provided so much it wouldnt fit the dropbox slot

Me and my partner have been together as well as living together for approximately 4 years, and you only required a minimum of 12 month duration in partnership.
    I collected all the bills, letters and other relevant documents since we started moving in together (power bill, phone bill, internet bill, bank statement, bank's letter, rental agreement, etc). I also provided alot of support letters from friends and families, as well as photographs. It is also good to write a bit of you and your partner future plan together in New Zealand.

Yes, you are right it is better to give too much than too little and they will just return to you what they do not need at the end anyway.

Hope this help

Default Residency

Hi Stuart,

Stumbled upon your Q - am currently on the same situation right now. Partner's work visa will expire on 31/08/2016, and we can apply for her residency on 16/06/2016. I am an NZ citizen. How did your residency application go? :| her work visa was granted under the basis of partnership so it shouldn't be a problem. We just don't want to end up getting her work visa expired until she gets her residency.. But we have less than 3 months before it expires. Bit worried that we don't have that much time

Pao

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart-W View Post
    Good morning,

I'm looking for some information in regards to the processing times of a NZ Resident Visa.

This forum seems very informed, so hopefully you may be able to help.

I'm currently on a 'Work Visa' in NZ via 'Partnership'. This visa expires in on the 20th April 2016, but as of the 8th April 2016; I can apply for a 'Resident Visa' via 'Partnership', as my girlfriend & I have been living together in New Zealand for 12 months.

Basically, the crux of what I want to know is, how long is the processing time for a 'Resident Visa'? I've read on the INZ website it could take up to 9 months. Therefore I would have to get another 'Work Visa' in order to satisfy INZ regulations. This is no problem as I have sufficient evidence for this to be granted I would think, however I was hoping to start my plumbing apprenticeship, which I cannot undertake until I have a 'Resident Visa'. From experience do 'Resident Visa' applications always take 6-9 months, or is this just a guideline? I appreciate each case differs on it's individual merits etc, but a standard application with sufficient evidence...will it more than likely take up to 9 months? If anyone has any experience of this or been in this position, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Hello.

You are probably going to need to apply for a further partner-sponsored work visa, to cover the gap and keep her legal before the partner-sponsored residence comes through. There's hardly any chance that residence could be processed in two and a half months, and you don't want to be in the constant anxiety of 'will it? won't it?' running up to the end of August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast