Thread: Partnership Visa- break up

Default Partnership Visa- break up

Hi,

I was hoping that you could help on a tricky situation I am in. I came to New Zealand with my partner who obtained a Student Visa but now he is looking to gain residency through work – without me, we have since had a relationship break down. I'm on a temporary work visa which expires in 1.5 year.

Do we need to report that we are not in a relationship anymore?? If so, what would be the outcome for me?

I currently do not know what I should do from this point onwards. I want to stay in New Zealand as I have made a better life for myself here but with so many different visa options to go through – I am getting confused by it all.

Can someone please give me an idea on what I should do? I am not likely to meet the Essential Skills list so I know pursuing this path wouldn’t have an ideal outcome. I do not have family in New Zealand. I am currently dating but unsure if it will lead to anything major, it’s too early to tell.
    Hoping to hear from you folks,

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your tricky situation, and yes, it IS tricky.

You present visa entirely depends on the existence of the live-in relationship with your original partner who had the student visa. Strictly speaking, I suppose you should report that you are no longer in the relationship as soon as you are no longer living with him, and/but when you do, the visa is liable to be cancelled, and at that point, if you don't have any entitlement to a visa in your own right, INZ will give you notice to leave the country, if you don't first do it yourself. (If it is unavoidable that you go, it is better to go of your own accord than to make them force you, since future visa applications ask whether you have ever been deported from any country.)

Your only way to get a visa in your own right will be through being either a worker, or a student. From what you say, I guess that you don't have qualifications in a skilled job?

so not from a country that would entitle you to a Working Holiday visa?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your tricky situation, and yes, it IS tricky.

You present visa entirely depends on the existence of the live-in relationship with your original partner who had the student visa. Strictly speaking, I suppose you should report that you are no longer in the relationship as soon as you are no longer living with him, and/but when you do, the visa is liable to be cancelled, and at that point, if you don't have any entitlement to a visa in your own right, INZ will give you notice to leave the country, if you don't first do it yourself. (If it is unavoidable that you go, it is better to go of your own accord than to make them force you, since future visa applications ask whether you have ever been deported from any country.)

Your only way to get a visa in your own right will be through being either a worker, or a student. From what you say, I guess that you don't have qualifications in a skilled job?

I may try and apply for a skilled migrant visa but I would need to:
    1. Find a permanent job (I'm temping now) with an accredited employer who could give me a job offer
    2. Pass the IELTs exam as I'm a foreigner
    3. Provide my Master's degree diploma which is the easiest part
    But all of the above can take ages and doesn't give me a confidence that my application will be granted and that the immigration won't cancel my work visa till then.
    ;/
    Last edited by Gabi; 8th January 2016 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    so not from a country that would entitle you to a Working Holiday visa?

I'm too old for a Working Holiday Visa
    Last edited by Gabi; 8th January 2016 at 01:01 PM.

2. You don't necessarily HAVE to do IELTS. Especially as you've been working in INZ, one of the alternative options may well be possible for you. See here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm

Wishing you all the best with the job search.