Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bay of Plenty

Default Bay of Plenty

Hello,

I am moving to, Bay of Plenty from the UK, I was thinking of Tauranga or Te Puke. I am 43 and will be looking for plastering work.
    Does anyone have some advise on these areas, good or bad.

Also are there any other areas in the Bay of Plenty to look at or to avoid. I would like to be a short drive or walk from the coast for the Dog.

Thanks for any advise.

I live in Tauranga. It's boom town; the building trade is going nuts and can't keep up with the demand for new houses. Therefore I think job wise it should be a good place for a plasterer. The beaches are fantastic, and you can walk your dog almost anywhere from Leisure Island (in Mt Maunganui) to Papamoa. There are also some parks in town, some along the estuary, where you can walk your dog if you don't live in a suburb that's close to the main beach. I can't think of anything negative about Tauranga apart from rental houses being in very short supply and house prices rising with every month.

Te Puke is very small. It wouldn't suit me, but if you don't mind driving, e.g. to work or whatever your interests in Tauranga may be, then it's doable. You would have to drive to the beach anyway.

Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty is also quite nice, but it is smaller than Tauranga. The beach just around the corner, Ohope Beach, is fantastic. The Riverside Walk in town is also an option for dog walks.

It's such a great name - who would not want to live in the Bay of Plenty!

There's not much plastering in the UK sense here; it's nearly all dry-lining but I'm sure you'd get the hang of it if you can put up with the dust.

Hi

I have been looking into BOP too, yes it's such a lovely name. I have been looking into moving from WA as things are slowing down here in the building and I have noted there seems to be alot of prospect in the area and surrounds. My hubby is a Bricklayer and is being told, by friends here, that there is no work for his trade in NZ but from what I have seen there is! I have a friend in Christchurch who has given me some rates, which are good and he says there is also plenty of work in his area. Does anybody know what Bricklayers get paid in the BOP area?

I am a Driving Instructor and have seen a few schools in the area but am not sure if there is enough work but I have worked in a Hospital doing admin for a couple of years and guess I can go down the Temping route if necessary.

We also have 2 dogs and love walking them in the forest, one is a Labrador who loves the water, the other is a Pomeranian and loves to chase squirrels or atleast he did in the UK but here is too risky with the snakes! I love the scenery you have over there and Sections seems to be at a good price, I feel that it's going to be a good growth area but my concern is for our 16 year old daughter, is there enough to do and are teenagers the same there as the UK and here in the fact that they just don't bother to do much with their lives. It's such a difficult age and she is suffering with anxiety and I am wondering whether sending her to a Polytechnic could be a better option.

Any advice is really appreciated.
    thanks
    BD
    Last edited by belladonna; 23rd January 2016 at 01:39 PM.

Plenty of work in bricklaying, although it's mostly decorative rather than structural - putting a brick veneer on a timber framed house. Gosh they do need driving instructors! The standard of driving here is pretty poor but whether the work is there, that's another question.

Try Tradestaff, the biggest trade recruitment agency in Tauranga. They should be able to give you an indication of pay rates. Apparently there are jobs for bricklayers available now (according to their website http://www.tradestaff.co.nz/need-a-j...45271513298350 - no idea what "good pay" means though).
    http://www.tradestaff.co.nz/tauranga.html

General:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-ple...ectid=11563602
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11552867

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Plenty of work in bricklaying, although it's mostly decorative rather than structural - putting a brick veneer on a timber framed house. Gosh they do need driving instructors! The standard of driving here is pretty poor but whether the work is there, that's another question.

That's good to hear and that's pretty much the case in the UK these days, so atleast that's the same they just don't called it decorative. I have taught in the UK and here in Australia and seen all sorts so will just have to work that one out once we arrive! Thanks for your comments

Thanks for those links, that does look very promising, I feel very excited at the future proapects of living in such a beautiful place

Hi emka,
    Thank you so much for the info. It really means a lot to me to speak to someone local. Even though its only me and the dog it still feels like a big move so its great to hear.
    Its sounds fantastic, just what I'm looking for.
    Would I be right in thinking it takes about 30 mins to drive from Te Puke to Tauranga. Sometimes I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to work. I thuoght Te Puke would be more affordable as I want to buy a place ASAP.
    But if there is a place somewhere else for around $200 then I will certainly look.

Hi mylesdw,
    Thank you for your reply,
    I am aware that the plastering will be different. I have worked in other countries before and there is always different things, techniques you have to adapt to that sort of thing. I actually want to buy an old property to renovate but will need to plaster as well for an income.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast