Thread: Applying for Visitor Visa rather than use VISA Waiver

Default Applying for Visitor Visa rather than use VISA Waiver

Hi,

I currently live in South Africa with my wife and two children (3 year old and 5 month old).

We are planning to go to New Zealand in July for a 'Look See Discover' (LSD) mission. My aim is to also setup a few job interviews while we are there.

We should have enough funds to last us well over 6 months and my Occupation is currently on the Long Term Skill Shortage list.

If I can secure employment, I then wish to apply for a Work Visa in NZ and start the road to Permanent Residency.

My Questions are as follows:

1. Although South Africa is on the VISA Waiver list, should I rather Apply for a Visitor's Visa before traveling and state my purpose as 'LSD'? As far as I understand this is less risky than doing it at the Airport and it is also valid for a longer period (9 Months I think?)
    2. If you have a Pre-Approved Visitors Visa, will you still be interrogated at the airport?
    3. Am I completely nuts for going over with my entire family on a Visitors Visa, hoping that I will find employment once I'm there? hehehe

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Marnus.

Nobody can tell you what you *should* do or not do.

But yes, you could do (1). It could save some hassle, possibly, but it could also be tipping your hand, and giving INZ the opening to judge that you don't want to go back. For visitors' visas, they're always looking to see that the applicant has a tie that will take them back to their home country if plans don't work out (because by definition, a visitor visits, then leaves). My instinct is that seeing you want to take your whole family might ring alarm bells.

2. Yes, you can be. INZ have the absolute right to question anybody at any time on any matter, and a pre-approved visa does not pre-empt that, since, if they found reason to suspect the applicant, they have the right to cancel the visa.

3. There's nuts, and then there's nuts. Quite a few people on the forum down the years have had the guts to do what you're thinking of. If it's what your instinct tells you to do, the saying goes, 'Throw your heart into it, then the rest of you will catch up.'

Hi,

Thanks so much for the honest feedback, much appreciated. I guess I need to think very carefully about which route to take as getting turned back at the airport with my whole family will be a disaster...

Regards,

Marnus.

Marnus, did you visit NZ yet or did you follow through with your application at all?