Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can I convert SMC job search visa to resident visa

Default How long can I convert SMC job search visa to resident visa

Hello folks

I was offered job search visa instead of RV in last quarter of 2015 and now planning to go there in March 2016. How long can I submit application for RV once I get a job? Immigration letter stated I must work at least for 3 months, however reading the old thread some application was approved before completed 3 months of work. Any idea about current procedure? Many thanks.

Hello.

As soon as you get the formal offer of a skilled job, you can take/send the proof to the LOCAL INZ office (not the one overseas that handled your original application), and they will activate your deferred Residence straight away. That is, you and any family members will get the full Residence visa labels put in your passports. Residence issued in that situation has a Section 49(1) condition upon it, that you, the main applicant, must work for at least three months in the job you have told INZ about - after that time, you can go back to INZ with evidence (pay slips, tax papers) that you have done so, and are still with that company, and they will, without further charge, give you another Residence label with no conditions on it. After that, if you want to, you are free as far as INZ is concerned to change jobs (details depending on your contract, of course).

Otherwise, if you wanted, you could work for three months in the new skilled job, and THEN go to INZ with your proof, in which case you would get your Residence visa without any conditions on it straight away.

Hi JandM

Thanks for replying!

Glad to hear that I can convert my JSV immediately after I get a job offer. This is not easy though moving to new country alone & leaving family behind. Hopefully this will be a smooth journey because I know it is not easy to get a job in NZ especially I don't have experience in NZ.

All good wishes for success in the busy and stressful time just ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

As soon as you get the formal offer of a skilled job, you can take/send the proof to the LOCAL INZ office (not the one overseas that handled your original application), and they will activate your deferred Residence straight away. That is, you and any family members will get the full Residence visa labels put in your passports. Residence issued in that situation has a Section 49(1) condition upon it, that you, the main applicant, must work for at least three months in the job you have told INZ about - after that time, you can go back to INZ with evidence (pay slips, tax papers) that you have done so, and are still with that company, and they will, without further charge, give you another Residence label with no conditions on it. After that, if you want to, you are free as far as INZ is concerned to change jobs (details depending on your contract, of course).

Otherwise, if you wanted, you could work for three months in the new skilled job, and THEN go to INZ with your proof, in which case you would get your Residence visa without any conditions on it straight away.
    Hi,

I was on a job search visa under SMC and recently I got a offer letter.As advised by my intial CO at london , I dropped my Passport,Job Offer,Salary details and Employer contact details at the NZ immigration office , Auckland on 21st May 2017.Few days later when I called up they advised that a CO has been assigned to my application on 29th May 2017, but I'm yet to get a response from the CO.Do you know normally how long it would take to get the visa stamped or should I contact my CO via email?

Regards,
    Vib_4040
    Last edited by vib_4040; 13th June 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo

It has normally taken only around a month, because the only thing remaining to be checked out in a case like yours is the job and the employer - all the investigation of you yourself has already been done. This depends, of course, on the employer replying promptly to the CO's requirements for information and evidence, so make sure s/he is watching out for emails (check spam folder regularly) etc.. Also, there may be delays because of the backlog that INZ has had over this last half-year or so, on account of the huge wave of extra applications.

You won't necessarily hear anything from the CO at all. It's quite likely that all the information s/he needs will come from your employer. Don't worry if you hear nothing. Just wait and let her/him get on with things.

Quote Originally Posted by vib_4040 View Post
    Hi,

I was on a job search visa under SMC and recently I got a offer letter.As advised by my intial CO at london , I dropped my Passport,Job Offer,Salary details and Employer contact details at the NZ immigration office , Auckland on 21st May 2017.Few days later when I called up they advised that a CO has been assigned to my application on 29th May 2017, but I'm yet to get a response from the CO.Do you know normally how long it would take to get the visa stamped or should I contact my CO via email?

Regards,
    Vib_4040

hi @vib_4040, is there any update on your JSV to RV conversion? I am also waiting for response from my CO, its been 3 weeks since I informed them about my job offer and I believe my employer also provided all the necessary information. I just want to get an idea on the timeframe of approval. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Hello folks

I was offered job search visa instead of RV in last quarter of 2015 and now planning to go there in March 2016. How long can I submit application for RV once I get a job? Immigration letter stated I must work at least for 3 months, however reading the old thread some application was approved before completed 3 months of work. Any idea about current procedure? Many thanks.
    Hi Snowman

May i know how did you get a SMC job search visa? I did some little research about NZ immigration but their is no such visa. The only job search visa is Silver fern.

There has always been the option for INZ to grant a JSV - deferred residence, with permission to take any job while looking for skilled work in NZ for nine months, which would trigger the actual residence - after an application for Residence under SMC. SM21.10 d, e and f. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm (old regulations).

Under the new regulations (since 27/08/17), every applicant for residence under SMC who hasn't a Master's or Doctorate awarded after two years' study in NZ, or doesn't already have a skilled job in NZ, can only get JSV, not residence directly. SM1.5 7. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66762.htm (new regulations).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There has always been the option for INZ to grant a JSV - deferred residence, with permission to take any job while looking for skilled work in NZ for nine months, which would trigger the actual residence - after an application for Residence under SMC. SM21.10 d, e and f. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/43652.htm (old regulations).

Under the new regulations (since 27/08/17), every applicant for residence under SMC who hasn't a Master's or Doctorate awarded after two years' study in NZ, or doesn't already have a skilled job in NZ, can only get JSV, not residence directly. SM1.5 7. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66762.htm (new regulations).
    Hi JandM,

Thank you for your enlightenment. Now i understand how to obtain JSV under SMC. I guess the little research i did before was just too little. 😆

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast