Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finished my second year of computer science studies and landed an internship over the summer. My employer offered me a permanent job! Decisions...

Default I finished my second year of computer science studies and landed an internship over the summer. My employer offered me a permanent job! Decisions...

Greetings all,

I first moved to New Zealand on a student visa in Feburary of 2014. I am originally from the United States. I studied (and still am studying) computer science at Victoria University of Wellington. Last year, I landed my dream internship at my company of choice. I'm in a DevOps-y type role. To my great pleasure, they've decided that they want to keep me onboard! I love it here and I realise that the job offer gives me a potentially near-immediate pathway to residency through the Skilled Migrant Category.

The best part of residency is that - if I were a resident - I could complete my final year of studies at domestic rates; however, it is immensely unlikely that I will be able to have the SMC-related stuff sorted out in due time. I would like to pay domestic rates before returning to university now, which would hopefully be an option by the time trimester 2 rolls around. I would like to continue working here full-time in the interim, although that's not possible on a student visa. Additionally, if I temporarily halted my studies for one trimester, I would no longer even be eligible for a student visa. My current plan is to apply for a work visa while waiting on SMC things. I have scheduled an appointment for the medical examination, and I'm going to get fingerprinted tomorrow so that I can submit the proper documents to an FBI-approved channeler for a new police certificate.

I have already tentatively completed a large chunk of my Expression of Interest. I am primarily waiting on NZQA assessment for an Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology that I earned in the United States. The degree is fully related to my current work and I anticipate that it should be certificate-level after the assessment by NZQA.

All-in-all, here is my tentative points breakdown, assuming the NZQA pre-assessment result comes back as planned:

• 30 points for age (20-29)
    • 50 points for a job offer/working in New Zealand for less than 12 months
    • 30 points for a job offer outside of Auckland
    • 10 points for work in an identified future growth area (Information Communications Technology)
    • 45 points (projected) for my Associate in Applied Science in Information Technology - this is what the online EOI shows for this section after tentatively entering numbers assuming that the NZQA PAR goes as I expect
    • 165 points total

If I were to finish my studies in New Zealand, I'd get several other additional points. I'd get an additional 10 for studying in the country, and a further additional ten for the higher-level qualification. I'd be sitting near an estimated 185+ points then. I'd also probably be able to claim some additional work experience-related points, pushing me to near-200.

I would really like to have entry under a Skilled Migrant Category before commencing my third and final year of studies, though. It would save a monumental amount of money, and I'd be able to get away from the stress of having to worry about all of this later.

Does moving to a work visa temporarily; halting my studies; and then waiting and hoping for positive results for an SMC application sound like a good plan?

For a moment in my life that should be bringing out plenty of happiness (and believe me, it is!), this sure is stressful!! I want to have all of my ducks in a row before committing to anything. There are countless possible options here. None of the paths are bad, but some of the alternatives are certainly better than others. My ideal choice would be to have the SMC sorted by the time that the trimester begins so that I could simultaneously work full-time and study part-time, but the chances of that happening seem to be slim-to-none. Going back and studying with another year of international tuition rates also feels like it would be a bit of a slap in the face after I've come this far. :P

I'd really appreciate any feedback. This is such an exciting and terrifying moment in my life. The opportunities are endless, yet I'm also afraid of making some small mistake on some application somewhere and being denied for residency!

Agh, my head has just been spinning all day! There's so much information to process!
    Last edited by Colton; 21st January 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Just saw one of JandM's very recent posts in another thread!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    With a skilled NZ job offer, your EOI will be accepted if you have at least 100 points. Without the NZ job offer, it needs a minimum of 140.
    I don't see why it wouldn't, but that would apply to me as well, correct? If so, I can go ahead and submit my EOI tomorrow.

Yes, that applies to everyone.

Nobody can forecast exactly how long processing of whatever kind of application will take in a particular case. But it is HIGHLY unlikely - impossible, really - that you could get SMC Residence through before the new academic year begins. You can put in your EOI and also apply for a work visa at the same time, but of course, a work visa is subject to its own requirements - I am wondering what your employer would be able to satisfy, but of course, you'll be able to check it against your own situation. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...entialwork.htm Work visas can be processed relatively quickly, e.g. see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/, then Residence can tick along taking as long as it takes.

Yeah, I was checking out the processing times earlier today. They're quite good for work visas overall.

My employer mentioned they were quite willing to work with Immigration to help me stay. When I was brainstorming some options to share with my mentor and project manager, one of them said that I didn't need to sell the idea to them, but to Immigration.

My position is also - fortunately - right on the LTSSL. I'm also more fortunate that my employer has the unrivaled convenience of literally being just across the street from the local Immigration New Zealand office (though I doubt they much appreciate drop-ins coming in to just ask questions, hah!).

I think I'll probably go the route of work visa while waiting on SMC residency. I don't foresee any significant hurdles or bumps.

Plus, once I get residency and I've held it for a few months, I can study and work to my heart's content without any restriction!

My medical appointment is on Wednesday and I should have the police certificates within a few weeks at most if I go through a channeler.

Thank you very much for your input! This forum is an exceptionally good resource.

Good luck.

I am so envy with your lucky situation.good luck!

yes good luck ! processing times on the websites do not always reflect the reality unfortunately just be aware of that

Hate to put a damper on things, but your thinking and eligibility may be fundamentaly flawed unless you have the qualification, or work experience that ANZSCO says can substitute for a qualification, you wont be in skilled employment.

Whats your role?

Be careful which ANZSCO code you may select.(It will need to require only an Associate Degree/Certificate)

SM7.10.1 Assessment of whether employment is skilled

An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand will be assessed as skilled if it meets the requirements of (a), (b) or (c) below.
    a.The occupation is included in part A of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and: i.the applicant holds a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the NZQF (see SM14.5) that corresponds to the indicative skill level described for that occupation in the ANZSCO; or
    ii.the applicant has the relevant recognised work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification; or
    iii.the employment is in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and the applicant meets the relevant requirements specified in column three of the Long Term Skill Shortage List for that occupation; or
    iv.the employment is in an occupation that requires New Zealand registration by law to be undertaken and is included at SM19.5 and the applicant holds evidence of full or provisional registration in that occupation in New Zealand.
    v.notwithstanding (a) (ii), applicants with Skill Level One Occupations can substitute the required qualification with five years of relevant work experience.

b.The occupation is included in part B of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and: i.the applicant holds a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, level four on the NZQF (see SM14.5) (a qualification at level four on the NZQF must be a National Certificate or a New Zealand Certificate); or
    ii.has the relevant recognised work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification; or
    iii.the employment is in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and the applicant meets the relevant requirements specified in column three of the Long Term Skill Shortage List for that occupation.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd January 2016 at 06:17 AM.

Mm, that does put quite a damper on things. I wear many hats here, but the role would ultimately fall under something akin to Developer Programmer, Software Engineer, or a handful of other similar-in-nature occupations.

My employer is quite reputable and well-sized, though, and they have worked with a decent number of other people immigrating to this country. This company has some well-renowned clients (including some government ones) and they develop a handful of some of the most popular websites in New Zealand.

Basically, the role that I'm in easily falls into the LTSSL, but my qualifications do not. I don't yet have a bachelor's degree, nor do I have three years of work experience following such a degree.

I do want to be here long-term. I love this company and I enjoy the work that I do. The work-to-residence category may be what I look into. I could happily see myself continuing here for the required 2+ years from now.

*shrug*

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the hit of reality, at least! It's better to find out now than it is later. The requirements for a position on the LTSSL are quite ludicrous, even if I were to just plough straight through my studies and continue working for a few years.

OK, so any of the occupations you mention require a bachelor degree, or 5 years of experience. If your employer was accredited your could get a WTR visa, assuming your were paid $55K;but it would take 2 years+ ;LTSSL doesn't seem possible. Best move may be to wait for IQA, see what the Associate degree is equivalent to and then see if their is a role on the list of skilled occupations that only requires a certificate/diploma. ( 313199 ICT Support technician =NZ Diploma, or 3 years experience)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast