Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Visa "TRAVEL CONDITIONS"

Default Resident Visa "TRAVEL CONDITIONS"

Hi everyone,
    My travel conditions on my Resident Visa are expiring on 21st Feb 2016 & i'm travelling overseas on 1st March 2016.Can any body tell me how long it takes to INZ to place new "Permanent Resident" label on passport ? Can i apply for Permanent resident visa before expiry of travel conditions ? Can i request immigration NZ to return my passport before my travel date ? I'm based in Hamilton NZ
    Awaiting responses..
    Thanks

Can any body tell me how long it takes to INZ to place new "Permanent Resident" label on passport ?
    It can be around two weeks, but is SOMETIMES less than that.
    Can i apply for Permanent resident visa before expiry of travel conditions ?
    It's not the travel conditions that are important here, but meeting the requirements for showing commitment to NZ, etc., one of which is having held your Residence visa for two years http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, so you can't apply in advance of that.
    Can i request immigration NZ to return my passport before my travel date ?
    You can ask, but it won't necessarily be possible.

Some people in the past have found that they were allowed to attend in person at the INZ office by appointment, and the whole thing was done on the spot. This is not always allowed. It depends on how the branch office procedures are set up, and how busy they are at the time. In your place, I would phone and explain your situation, and ask if they can PLEASE do anything for you. If they can't, I guess you're going to have to look at postponing your trip.

Thanks alot JandM for very well explaination & quick reply.Appreciate that.

you can apply for a further residence visa (but not a PRV) before 21 February. That would allow you to travel and then apply for your PRV when you return, or within 3 months of the expiry of the RV if you are still off shore.

RV3.5 12-month variation of travel conditions

Principal applicants may be granted with travel conditions current for 12 months if:
    a.they meet the requirements set out in either RV3.5.1 or RV3.5.5 below; and
    b.their first day in New Zealand as a resident (see R5.66.5(b)) was at least 12 months before the current application for a variation of travel conditions was made; and
    c.they continue to meet any conditions previously imposed under section 49(1) or section 50 of the Immigration Act 2009;

unless RV3.1(d) applies.

RV3.5.1 Time spent in New Zealand

To meet the requirements regarding time spent in New Zealand, the principal applicant must have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in at least one of the two 12-month portions in the 24 months immediately preceding the date the application for a variation of travel conditions was made (ie, in at least one of the two 12-month portions, a period or periods that amount to 184 days or more).

It is possible that Hamilton might do a PRV over the counter, or within 8 days if you provided evidence of travel, but you would be best to go in to the branch and talk to them.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 23rd January 2016 at 07:36 AM.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly are 'travel conditions'? What do they limit you to? Thanks!

The travel conditions don't LIMIT you. They ALLOW you to re-enter the country.

For instance, when you activate your Residence, you have two years' travel conditions which start from that date. The Residence visa will last for ever while you are in New Zealand, but you need 'live' travel conditions to let you back into the country if you've been away, so if you're out of the country with lapsed travel conditions, you either need to re-apply for more travel conditions or PR within a certain maximum time, or your Residence will lapse because you can't get back to use it. PR has the permanent right to re-enter included in it, but travel conditions are always/only for a limited amount of time.

Okay so when you get your Residency they impose travel conditions meaning that if you want to travel in/out of NZ you have to do it before that date or else you won't come back into NZ as a citizen? Have I understood correctly? So does that mean that if you gain you residency in August, say, and they give you two years of travel conditions, but you decide that you need to leave to country 2 years and 2 months later, perhaps for an important event, you will have to either a) apply for PR in August and hope they are quick about it or b) apply for an extension of travel conditions? Once you have PR I assume the only 'condition' is that you spend at least 6 months of each 12-month period within NZ, or else you lose residency?

Quote Originally Posted by neddrick98 View Post
    Okay so when you get your Residency they impose travel conditions meaning that if you want to travel in/out of NZ you have to do it before that date or else you won't come back into NZ as a citizen? Have I understood correctly?
    No, you haven't got it quite right. Leave citizenship right out of the case - that, you can apply for as a totally separate issue (nothing to do with INZ) after being based in NZ for five years as a Resident and Permanent Resident. That first two years' travel conditions allow you to leave the country and return at will during that time. It's your Residence visa itself which gives you the right to live and work in NZ.
    So does that mean that if you gain you residency in August, say, and they give you two years of travel conditions, but you decide that you need to leave to country 2 years and 2 months later, perhaps for an important event, you will have to either a) apply for PR in August and hope they are quick about it or b) apply for an extension of travel conditions?
    Yes.
    Once you have PR I assume the only 'condition' is that you spend at least 6 months of each 12-month period within NZ, or else you lose residency?
    No. A Permanent Resident doesn't have any conditions upon their coming and going.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, you haven't got it quite right. Leave citizenship right out of the case - that, you can apply for as a totally separate issue (nothing to do with INZ) after being based in NZ for five years as a Resident and Permanent Resident. That first two years' travel conditions allow you to leave the country and return at will during that time. It's your Residence visa itself which gives you the right to live and work in NZ.

Yes.
    No. A Permanent Resident doesn't have any conditions upon their coming and going.
    Ah apologies, I didn't mean to write 'citizenship' up there - I meant 'resident' Thanks for clarifying the travel conditions bit!

In terms of PRs, surely you can't go and live in any old country for years and still consider yourself a NZ PR? Or can you...?!

Yes you can. Once you have PR you can stay away as long as you like and return ax a resident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast