Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Stream Work Problems

Question Family Stream Work Problems

Hey guys

Could you help to solve my problems?

My wife is going to NZ for her postgraduate study and I will go with her. And I know I can apply the Family Stream Work VISA under this situation and allow to work 20 hrs per week for a part time job. Of course my little son is going with us, he is less 2 years old.

But someone told me that I cannot work if I do not let my boy go to school. As you know, the private kindergarten for an international student of his age could be very expensive. I, and my wife would like to take care of him alternatively. I did not find any information about the above policy.

BTW, I don't know which VISA is suitable for my little son. A student VISA or a visitor one? My son is holding a NZ VISA-free access passport, but it is allowed to stayed for 90 days only.

Could someone tell me?

Thank you guys!

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm is the visa your wife can sponsor you for. It allows you to work full or part time at any job you are offered.

You should apply for a visitor's visa for your son, linking the application to your wife's student visa and your partner-sponsored temporary work visa (a covering letter explaining), then he will be given a visa to match hers and yours for time. (You fill in the form applying for a visitor's visa as if it were him doing it, then sign on his behalf as the parent at the end.) This will entitle him to attend kindy as a domestic student if you want to send him. If he were five or over, you would need to apply on his behalf for a student visa.

But someone told me that I cannot work if I do not let my boy go to school
    It's surprising how many times on the forum there is a post where *somebody*, who doesn't mention their source, shakes their head, tuts, and comes up with an odd statement that appears to mess up a migrant's plans - you are not the first person to have this happen! As far as I know, a child in NZ must start attending school by their sixth birthday (though most start when they are five, on their birthday), and there is no law that says they have to attend some kind of early childhood education (although most do, at least part-time, for the socialization and the friendships).

Thank you JandM.

It was that VISA of your link. It allows me to work 20 hours part time jobs per week.

My son is under 2 years old. And he has the VISA-free access passport to NZ, but for a longer stay, I do need to apply a VISA for him.

But one thing I did not quite get you, how can my son be entitled as a domestic student? He is no more than six years old. If he could be considered as a domestic student, then, the school fee would be much more cheaper!! Could you please explain more?

Sorry about 'somebody', for what the guy said to me, I tried my best to find out the source, but nothing. And I doubt, and send emails to ask NZ immigration dept. and Education dept. Luckily, I got your answer here. Thank you again!

I found this link
    https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...care-preschool
    and from what I can see he is not eligible for a government funded place until he is 3 years of age and then only for 20 hours a week this is also just for compulsory fees !

Cost of early childhood education
    The first 20 hours per week of ECE is government funded and largely free for children from age three until they start school (after they turn five). This applies to all children in New Zealand, regardless of their visa situation. The program is called 20 ECE hours.

While the government’s funding covers compulsory fees, many early childhood education centres have charges. Some charge on a per hour basis, and others per day, week or term.

If children spend more than the 20 paid ECE hours, or if they are too young to qualify, ECE providers charge fees. (There may also be other charges - a suggested donation, or specific charges to cover the cost of a special outing, for example.)

Charges vary but as an indication, in 2015 most kindergartens charged between $5-6 per hour, Playcentres charged up to $50 for a ten week term and home based care costs were around $4-6 an hour.

He is considered to be a domestic student once he is in primary school but would need to switch from a visitor to student visa

Domestic student status (in primary and secondary schools) is also considered for a dependent child of someone who holds a New Zealand student visa and is enrolled in any Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme in a New Zealand university or is the holder of a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship.
    Are you staying for a PhD? If not I don't know whether that would apply maybe check with the Ministry of Education ...

http://dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1035

I believe your son will be on the same terms as a NZ national or resident, which are as ice has mentioned, if he is on the visitor's visa that matches your wife's and yours for length of time.

That partner-sponsored visa for you will entitle you to work the 20 hours part-time that you mention, OR full-time if you want to. I'm mentioning that again because your post sounds as though you think you might be restricted to only 20 hours.

If you are still in NZ when your son turns five and will need a student visa, even if his mother, the student visa holder, isn't doing a PhD, he will be a domestic student in NZ schools by reason of the work visa that you, his father, hold.
    (l) A person who holds a student visa and who is the dependent child of a person who is the holder of a work visa until the end of the year in which the work visa expires.
    https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2013-go545

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    As far as I know, a child in NZ must start attending school by their sixth birthday (though most start when they are five, on their birthday), and there is no law that says they have to attend some kind of early childhood education (although most do, at least part-time, for the socialization and the friendships).
    Strictly speaking, they don't have to start attending a school, they have to start schooling by their sixth birthday, which could be at home (not that it matters in this case).

Yes, of course you're right, Daniela.

I hope everything's going well for all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, of course you're right, Daniela.

I hope everything's going well for all of you.
    Didn't mean to be a smartypants (well, then again...), but I actually know people who have done that to avoid school fees/international student status, so thought it was relevant in this instance

We are all good, thank you, not sure about this all winter/pseudo winter though!

We KNOW about your smartypants!

Aw, no - this weather is ridiculous. Here farther west than you, we've just a couple of hard frosts that killed off new shoots and last summer's flowers in the garden, and now it's gone back to mild and soggy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast