Thread: Dui- work visa renewal - deportation?

Default Dui- work visa renewal - deportation?

Hello,

I'm from the United States and I've been working in Nz for nearly three years at and my current contract runs through October.
    Last Thursday, I was stopped at a checkpoint after lunch and was cited for a DUI.
    I was allowed to keep my license and was given a summons to appear in February

This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me im my life and I feel mortified /terrible about this.
    I understand that I'll lose my license for 6 months.
    My question is wether this will affect my current visa or any future work visas.
    I was also in the process of finishing up skilled migrant application having already been selected to apply.

Should I forgo applying at this point? I'm terribly concerned about all the repercussions this could have on me for something so stupid as having a few too many at lunch and foolishly driving.

Is this as bad as it appears to be to me. Is it likely that I'll be deported?

Your assistance or counsel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Strongly suggest you get some professional advice. Its probable that after your conviction is entered you may be served with a notice of revocation of your visa or Deportation Liability Notice . You could then make submissions as to why that should not happen, and if you have just the one conviction, then its probable that a character waiver would be granted and you allowed to remain.

I'd kick on with the residence application, but similarly, you would have to be granted a character waiver before you could be granted residence.

I assume that this wasn't just an infringement offence? Breath Alcohol in the range 251 -400 mcg? ( If you have a court summons it must have been over 400mcg)
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 23rd January 2016 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Strongly suggest you get some professional advice. Its probable that after your conviction is entered you may be served with a notice of revocation of your visa or Deportation Liability Notice . You could then make submissions as to why that should not happen, and if you have just the one conviction, then its probable that a character waiver would be granted and you allowed to remain.

I'd kick on with the residence application, but similarly, you would have to be granted a character waiver before you could be granted residence.

I assume that this wasn't just an infringement offence? Breath Alcohol in the range 251 -400 mcg? ( If you have a court summons it must have been over 400mcg)
    Thank you for your respons. It was 630. I wasn't arrested and was to leave.
    Unbelievably stupid. I'm pretty much losing it over this.

Don't beat yourself up. It happened to others too. if there is just one offence, then its highly likely you will be granted the necessary waivers etc. It cannot happen again though, or you will be out.

Thanks for your kind words Chris.

Yeah, first one ever. Fingers crossed. If I make it through this and allowed to stay it'll be the last.

Been reading all day and pretty much in panic mode. So it's likely I'll get a notice from Immigration? And then I would need to apply for a character waiver?
    Seems to me though I've been here for nearly 3 years without incident and its my first offense ever its stil unlickey that I would be approved because the offence is serious and new...

Ugh, has anyone had any experience with these type of circumstances?

Hi,

I'm in the similar boat as you are, can you please update us.

Have you done with your court hearing, how much fine they imposed on you? Have you got any Deportation Liability Notice (DLN) from INZ?

I will be very grateful to you and i hope you will understand my situation and stress level at the moment.