Thread: Extension for Student Visa to get Open Work Visa

Default Extension for Student Visa to get Open Work Visa

Hello there

My girlfriend wants to get an open work visa after her graduation for her masters degree. She is currently holding a student visa which is valid until March this year. She already completed all her enrolled courses and is waiting for her thesis to be marked. According to her lecturer, she won't be getting her marks until May 2016 which means she won't receive her official qualification until then.

She wants to get the open work visa but is not eligible to apply until she officially gets her masters (May 16). The problem is that her student visa expires in March and cannot apply for another student visa because she is no longer enrolled in any courses. What should be her course of action now? Can she apply for an extension to her student visa until May, and then apply for the open work visa? Or can she apply for her open work visa... even though she hasn't officially got her masters?

Many thanks in advance, i searched through the forum and couldn't find anything related to this problem. Hope I am not asking an already answered question on here.

P

You should ask her to talk to her university immigration officer/help person. I went to Victoria university and after graduated, they lodged my application for my study to work visa and they had all the answers to all of my questions . Surely they'll know some info/can possibly help her out - each Uni has someone who looks after the international students! Also, try ringing immigration if you haven't already, they are quite helpful and open 24/7 so you can maybe get soooooome ideas there on options? But I'd highly recommend that she gets in touch with the uni's immigration rep!!