Thread: Family Partnership Category Resident Visa Application Queries

Default Family Partnership Category Resident Visa Application Queries

Hi Everybody,

My partner and I are looking to immigrate to New Zealand. I already am a permanent resident, so he was thinking of applying for residency through the Family Partnership Category. We will be sending our application through the London office (as we are currently living in Ireland), but we have a few questions before we start the process.

First of all, is age something they take into consideration? My partner is 25 and I will be 19 when we submit our application. We are afraid that our application won’t be taken seriously because of my age, considering I was 17 when our relationship started.

Our relationship began in late 2013 and we spent a year apart as we were both studying. At the end of 2014 I moved to Ireland so we could be together, so whilst we have been in a relationship for two years we have only been living together for one year. We would just like to confirm this meets the requirements to apply under this category?

Thirdly, we were wondering if we will get back all of the evidence we supply to support our application once they have finished with it? We have some things that we will be submitting that have a great deal of sentimental value.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Age doesn't matter you could even be 16 and get sponsored ( with parents consent ) but since you are both over 18 its going to be the same process as someone who is 40 although the evidence you can submit is probably going to be different.
    The most important factor as you already figured out is "living together" under one roof and maybe a rental agreement or something confirming that.
    You will "only" need 12 months right up to the point you put your application in.
    Besides the "living together" factor you will need to proof that you are in a stable relationship (social recognition , financial interdependence like joint bank accounts, photos ,travel together etc )
    You can look through past forum posts to find examples of what people used with their application.

This is taken from the INZ website
    Evidence of partnership
    Evidence of partnership may be provided by:
    marriage certificate (if married)
    civil union certificate (if in a civil union)
    proof of shared residence (such as joint mortgage or tenancy agreements or rent book)
    financial dependence or interdependence (proof of shared income or bank accounts, or accounts that show money transfers to or from your account to your partner’s account)
    birth certificates of your children
    any documents showing public or family recognition of your relationship
    correspondence (including postmarked envelopes) to you and your partner at the same address
    photographs of you and your partner together
    evidence of the duration of your relationship
    the degree of commitment to a shared life
    evidence of communication between you both
    evidence of you being committed to each other emotionally and exclusively, such as evidence of joint decision making, an exclusive sexual relationship, and the sharing of household duties, parental responsibility, and spare time.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...artnership.htm

Good luck

Agree with Ice. They will return any original documents you send to them, but not copies. Don't forget that if you don't have evidence yet of having lived together for 12 months . Also if you don't have evidence of 12 months living together, they can defer a decision on residence until you do. Also if you are in a hurry, apply for a working holiday visa?

Thanks guys for the confirmation. We have been saving evidence of our year living together so we have our tenancy agreement and bills in both our names. We also have a joint bank account.
    We have loads of photos of us on holiday together and we have correspondence between each other from the year we had apart. We are also going to get a few people to write letters about our relationship so we are hopeful that all that will be enough.
    Anyway, thanks again for your help.