Thread: Visa Eligibility Help....

Default Visa Eligibility Help....

My partner and I have just got back from a month long holiday in New Zealand.. I was born in NZ and have residency, I've always wanted to move back there (currently living in the UK) I absolutely fell in love with it while we were there, safe to say I'm eager to go back as soon as possible!!

However.... Right before I met my partner he got in a bit of trouble with the police and ended up landing himself with a 20 month suspended sentence! So my question is; would he even be considered if he were to apply for a visa?

We have been together for 2 years. I'm 27 he's 23 (he had just turned 22 when he was convicted and given a suspended sentence!! Young and dumb) I have a 10year old child who's about sit her SATs and then she'll be finishing primary school in June/July... Which is when I'm hoping we can all go.. Depending on whether he can get a visa...

Any advice would be great!

Thanks 🙂

he will need a character waiver, and that may depend on what the offence was and the circumstances. If you done want to post her you'll need to make 5 posts and can them PM me.

Yeah that's what I thought.. I've read that they're only granted in extreme cases! It was drug related as well so it doesn't look of good character on paper..!! There is more to it than this, there is no excuse.. Just bad judgement and having no money, people do stupid things!

no, not just granted in extreme cases, but if he was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment , or more, in the last 10 years, that can add another level of difficulty. Have you got citizenship, or just PR?

Not looking good is it... I have citezenship, NZ birth certificate/passport!

normally for a character waiver the following would be considered:
    b.An immigration officer must consider the surrounding circumstances of the application to decide whether or not they are compelling enough to justify waiving the good character requirement. The circumstances include but are not limited to the following factors as appropriate:i.if applicable, the seriousness of the offence (generally indicated by the term of imprisonment or size of the fine);
    ii.whether there is more than one offence;
    iii.if applicable, the significance of the false, misleading or forged information provided, or information withheld, and whether the applicant is able to supply a reasonable and credible explanation or other evidence indicating that in supplying or withholding such information they did not intend to deceive INZ;
    iv.how long ago the relevant event occurred;
    v.whether the applicant has any immediate family lawfully and permanently in New Zealand;
    vi.whether the applicant has some strong emotional or physical tie to New Zealand;
    vii.whether the applicant's potential contribution to New Zealand will be significant

but the issue is he may be subject to "Section 15" which means he can not even apply for a visa, unless he is granted a "special direction"

my suggestion would be that you first apply for a police certificate, and then get someone who can properly advise you to look it and see what applies, and what can be done.
    https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx