Thread: E-coli in water supply

Default E-coli in water supply

I'm buying a house outside wellington and a water test has found E-coli in the water supply. I suspect it is from animals. Where is a good place to get quotes on filters and uv treatment? Is there any other experience people have had with this?

We treated coli years ago by dumping chlorine into the well, let it sit for a while and flush later thoroughly. Could be a dead critter. Frankly, I would skip the house. If manure runoff is the problem you are screwed. A contaminated well is awful and a health issue.
    Last edited by Lazysnapper; 26th January 2016 at 07:43 PM.

Are you buying this house from outside New Zealand? You seem to be still in the UK. If so, personally I would be very very careful. What do your lawyer advise about this? Also bear in mind (and I am sure you know this) that if you are buying a house in the more rural parts outside Wellington they take ages to sell again. Especially if you can't drink the water.

make it a condition of purchase that it is treated and a clear test result is provided by (date)

Thanks for the advice. The animals will go with the previous owner. I have already made fixing it a condition. I will be seeing the property before buying.

Anyone know of good companies to help?

So has your offer on the property been accepted then? (As you mention conditions). Just because as I am sure you know, unlike in England the offer is binding once it has been accepted and conditions are met.

No offer yet. I was waiting to see if the owner is going to take it seriously and also for the valuation to come through. He's currently got tenants in there so whether or not I buy the property I'm guessing he has a responsibility to make sure their drinking water is safe?

Anyone got a recommendation of a good water treatment products company in Wellington?