Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumpkin in a can

Default pumpkin in a can

On my list of things I'm too lazy to do from scratch is making pumpkin puree for pumpkin pie. I go through so many cans of this stuff all year long - for pumpkin bread, pumpkin pies... etc. During my trips down under, I remember eating tons of pumpkin - mashed, in soups, and roasted - but don't remember ever seeing it in a can. Can you find it in NZ, or will I need to learn to can it myself (or convince my mom to mail me a few every month or so )
    Last edited by wanderingoregonian; 26th March 2007 at 07:11 PM.

Cendenco produce it see here http://www.foodworks.co.nz/directory/packaging1.htm

Deborah

Aha Debs - you got the same result as I did from a Google search for pureed pumpkin!!!

Unfortunately I think that company produces it for use in commercial foodstuffs. In fact, I'm about to start up my pumpkin puree manufacturing plant next week as there seems to be a gap in the market.......

Talking

Oh did I get it wrong, sorry! I saw the size of the can and thought..........

Anyways up! You're too late, I've been at the stove and I'm now gently toe treading pumpkin mush in the (as yet un-used) spa pool.

I'll have skip loads of the stuff ready by the time wanderingoregonian gets here.

Deborah x

But what about your athlete's foot?

YUK! - Oh don't that's turned my stomach blaargh...

I suspect that it isn't readily available in NZ. A few years ago, I brought some with me when I studied abroad in Australia and made a pie for a friend. Years later I was back in Melbourne she invited all these friends over to try pumpkin pie - only this time I had to make it from scratch. It took forever to peel and steam the pumpkin, and then I used a recipe form a well-respected Aussie cookbook - in the end it was awful. No one could eat it and I've been sending canned pumpkin to her ever since to make up for it

But do let me know if you stumble across it during your shopping adventures. we're just starting our EOI this week, so it'll be awhile before we actually are in NZ. And while I'll pass on the hot tub, foot mashed pumpkin , if Trav and I make it down to NZ maybe we could get together and make some as a group to celebrate.

Actually, cooking & pureeing pumkin is easy - even I can do it. I use pie pumpkins, not the carving kind. The flesh isn't stringy, and they're sweeter. They are usually small, producing a couple of cups of mash.

After cleaning out the pumpkin guts, I chunk up the flesh (skin on) so that it will fit into a steamer (~2"x4"). It takes about 15-20 minutes to steam it sufficiently; you should be able to easily stick a fork into the flesh. If it seem a bit too mushy, cool it quickly with cold water; otherwise set it aside until cool enough to handle. Then I sccop the flesh off the skin with a soup spoon, put it in the blender and puree. I freeze the extra in 1-cup quantities for ease of thawing & use. During the year I like to make pumpkin muffins, often adding pumpkin seeds.

I now see my error... trying to get off the skin before steaming - nearly lost a finger hacking away at it. a huge wieght has lifted off my shoulders, I will be able to make pumpkin pie in NZ all by myself!

So now I need to figure out if I should bring my little electric steamer, or chuck it and buy a new one in NZ.....

Bring it with you!! I get the impression from my holiday and this forum that EVERYTHING is really expensive in NZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast