Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: availability of turkey in NZ?

Default availability of turkey in NZ?

A question for anyone (especially Thanksgiving-celebrating Americans) in NZ - are turkeys easy to buy this time of year and what's the price like?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know they have them but can't speak to the price. We were at a big Tday pot luck last night and we saw just about anything you would normally see so you can get everything here, except fresh cranberries.

Chris

In November 2001, we went to the Tamaki Brothers' Maori village/"show"/hangi near Rotorua. Instead of moa, they served turkey, and made comments about Thanksgiving for the sake of we Americans.

Turkeys are available in NZ, but not as widely as in the UK.

We've had them for both Christmas and for midwinter Christmas-like meals, but have had to order them from 'proper' butchers to get them. I wouldn't rely on walking into New World/PaknSav in the week before Christmas and just taking one out of the freezer. The traditional Christmas meat here is a huge ham.

Quote Originally Posted by clg
    I know they have them but can't speak to the price. We were at a big Tday pot luck last night and we saw just about anything you would normally see so you can get everything here, except fresh cranberries.

Chris
    Well, if it's going to be just like home, the cranberries have to be from a can, and still holding the shape of the can when they are served in a dish!

Im having a bit of a problem with this. It appears that most places are happy for you to order a frozen turkey - but if you want Fresh - thats a bit more tricky. In fact twice now ive been looked at as if Ive sprouted horns for wanting to order a fresh turkey (ive never had anything else so didnt know to expect this).

Apparently the fresh turkeys come from canterbury, an if the weather is bad and it snows (I kid you not - this is what ive been told), then they cant guarentee me a fresh turkey. Then we got on to the fatc that they should be in teh the week before christmas and when would i want to pick it up - it appears that picking up your huge turkey is not a big "Christmas eve" event like it is in the UK.

We then went on to discuss sizing 0 to be told I need a "Size 4" to feed 5 of us. To me it looks like a big chicken adn certainly wont allow for any leftovers for my planned "Boxing Day picnic on the beach". So im ignoring that.

Its all been a bit confusing to be honest, and im a bit lost. But i still do want a traditional christmas dinner (though I may go so far as to move the dining table outside if the weather is better than the shops expect it to be).

I just don't get the turkey thing...

I've had mebbe one turkey in my whole life that tasted of something other than very bland chicken..it was free range, organic, small & cost a fortune.

I mean, be honest, if it's that good how come we only eat it once or twice a year?

BBQ half sirloin for this Christmas I reckon.

Noice!

my stepmothers brother lives in wellington and has a turkey farm - dunno where - but surely there must be some blackmarket turkey from farms thing going on?! i think u need to find that farm!

I just wish that they could come out with an all-dark meat turkey, or meatier ducks and geese. White meat can be so dry, though this year the OH brined the bird, and all the meat was juicy & yummy.

So, I guess there are no cranberry bogs in NZ? Too bad; I love freshly made cran sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by dave k

BBQ half sirloin for this Christmas I reckon.
    Sounds scrummy. May try that next year - but this year - its really got to be turkey. It just doesnt feel like Christmas at the moment (and i have to admit its actually making me feel a bit homesick) - im figuring getting a turkey may just help. Of course I happen to like turkey And it helps that Ive now found where to get proper sausages (and hence sausagemeat for stuffing!)

Baboonworld - ill look for it tomorrow! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast